Newbie here D3000?

jgraves1107

Ok bought it 2yrs ago for the wife and it just seems to be a pos. Got her a canon and she can get every shot perfect. I refuse to think it's the camera that's the issue here. Under exposed, over exposed, out of focus in focus. What is the best settings for the D3000 with the kit lens 18-55 or even 55-200? Manual all the way? I just refuse to give up! I know absolutely nothing when it comes to photography and no matter how much I read I am still confused. Someone did point out that the camera seemed to be autofocusing continuously, yet I really have not grasped the AF-S, AF-C, etc. The manual seems vague on this. What am I missing?

Horoscope Fish

Ok bought it 2yrs ago for the wife and it just seems to be a pos. Got her a canon and she can get every shot perfect. I refuse to think it's the camera that's the issue here. Under exposed, over exposed, out of focus in focus. What is the best settings for the D3000 with the kit lens 18-55 or even 55-200? Manual all the way? I just refuse to give up! I know absolutely nothing when it comes to photography and no matter how much I read I am still confused. Someone did point out that the camera seemed to be autofocusing continuously, yet I really have not grasped the AF-S, AF-C, etc. The manual seems vague on this. What am I missing?
I would suggest you do a full factory reset first. A full factory reset is more than just a settings reset, it will restore the camera body to a "just out of the box" condition. I would perform this reset and then do some test shots with the camera set to full Auto and see what that gets you.

If the camera is performing correctly then pursue a deeper understanding of the settings. Not much point, though, in doing that until you know the camera is in fact performing correctly.

To do a FULL FACTORY RESET: Full Factory Reset for Nikon DSLR's

jgraves1107

Will have to do that from a pc. Using my ipad and phone at work right now. My lens are both nikons. 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR and 18-55mm 3.5-5.6G VR. It could well be I'm 41yo trying to use a toy I just can't understand. I also read that an 18-300mm f/2.8 all the way through may be what I need. My lenses are slow and I hold the camera at ball games in the evening. I am prolly the reason my pictures look bad.

Roy1961

Contributor
if you are going to shot Manual, then like most you us you are in for a learning curve, a quick tip is to set your dial to auto, take a note of the settings and switch back to manual and apply them, this will get you close, also in manual you will need to keep a close eye on your exposure (it will be at the bottom when you look thru your viewfinder, shown something like this, +_ _ | _ _ -) try to get as close to the center as possible. Good luck and dont give up.

jgraves1107

Update. 55-200mm lens shoots perfect in sports mode. A little too dark set on portrait on a bright day. Seems I may have messed up settings. Thanks for the reset info. Had to do it twice to get it working right. Now off to learn that triangle thingy!