Does this make sense? Or just an impulse purchase.

TedG954

I'm hooked on ultra-wide.

I am really attracted to the Tokina 11-16 II for my D5100.

I already use a Nikon 16-35 on my D800. The 11mm end of the Tokina is what I'm liking.

I'm just wondering if there will be enough of a difference to make a $700 addition to my lenses.

Any thoughts?

:confused:

Horoscope Fish

I love me a good UW and my long awaited Tok' 11-16 f/2.8 will be here tomorrow but... A) You'll need the more expensive DX II version and B) you already have the Nikon 16-35mm. That makes the Tokina a bit of a tough sell in my opinion.

Unless of course you tell yourself you'll sell off the 16-35 to help recoup the costs of the Tokina... Not that I'm trying to lead you down the primrose path. I wouldn't do that. Not MUCH, anyway.

TedG954

Thanks for the reply. I understand I'll need the II, and I'm not going to sell my favorite lens (16-35). So, that's the question... will the 11-16, on my D5100, compliment my D800 with the 16-35? Or, is it too much of a redundancy?

Horoscope Fish

Thanks for the reply. I understand I'll need the II, and I'm not going to sell my favorite lens (16-35). So, that's the question... will the 11-16, on my D5100, compliment my D800 with the 16-35? Or, is it too much of a redundancy?
Oooohhh... Okay. Two bodies, two lenses. I wasn't understanding your Big Picture (still working on my first cup of coffee over here on the Left Coast, dontcha know...)

*processing this new information... please wait*

Okay, survey says... Yes indeed. You need the D5100/11-16mm combo to perfectly complement your D800/16-35mm combo. It's like some sort of divinely inspired match made in heaven.

jwstl

It's not really redundant if you plan to use the DX camera. The 11-16 gives you 5mm more at the wide end than the 16-35 will on that camera. 5mm may not sound like a lot but when it's 5mm from 16 that's a large percentage.

RON_RIP

Had the tokina 11-16 lens It was a good lens but I found myself not using it at 11mm that often. switched to to 16-85 and found that to be wide enough for me 99% of the time. Ask yourself ow often you will need the wider setting. If you feel you would use it very often then by all means get it. But $700 dollars is a lot to pay for a few extra photos a year. Why not let Bill decide? He looks pretty savy to me.

TedG954

Had the tokina 11-16 lens It was a good lens but I found myself not using it at 11mm that often. switched to to 16-85 and found that to be wide enough for me 99% of the time. Ask yourself ow often you will need the wider setting. If you feel you would use it very often then by all means get it. But $700 dollars is a lot to pay for a few extra photos a year. Why not let Bill decide? He looks pretty savy to me.

Good logic.

Bill's into AR's and doesn't really care about cameras, so her opinion is biased (she doesn't want to be a casserole).

Geoffc

Ted, I had the Tok on my D300s and loved it. My wife still has hers on her 300. When I got the 800 I sold the Tok and got the 16-35 as it gave the same wide end on FX. My logic was that the sort of things that the 800 excels at like landscape is where I want ultra wide so the Tok wouldn't get much use even though I still have the 300s. When I use the 16-35 on the 300s it is sooo sharp, but obviously not as wide.

Rick M

The Tokina on your D5100 is going to be the Fx equivalent of 16.5mm-24mm, almost the same on the wide end as your 16-35 on the D800. If you really love wide, check out the 8-16mm sigma for the D5100, gives you an extra wide 12mm fx equivalent.

Last edited:

RON_RIP

Well, if you think about it, you would not want to be a casserole either. But if she is anything like my last cat, she smarter than both of us.

TedG954

The Tokina on your D5100 is going to be the Fx equivalent of 16.5mm-24mm, almost the same on the wide end as your 16-35 on the D800. If you really love wide, check out the 8-16mm sigma for the D5100, gives you an extra wide 12mm fx equivalent.

The Tokina is a DX lens, why wouldn't it be a true 11-16mm on the D5100?

BackdoorArts

What Rick said. I love my 8-16mm Sigma. It's a great perspective and will give you something you won't get on the 16-35mm on the D800. I actually like it so much that I'll shoot with it on my D600 and D800. It will vignette almost all the way through the zoom range unless you shoot in DX mode, so I just do that. Can't use filters, but if you need to then you've got your 16-35mm for those shots. It gives you something more than the Tokina when compared to the FX lens, and that's really what you want in an investment, right?

JDFlood

Must have been a software failure. I forgot my thought. Although reading the chain again, it reminds me that when I got my First FX, that was the end of me using my DX. I kept as backup, but it never got used, so gave it away. I can't imagine investing in DX after acquiring FX... But that's me. JD

jwstl

The Tokina is a DX lens, why wouldn't it be a true 11-16mm on the D5100?

The only thing that makes a DX lens DX is the fact that it's made to cover the smaller sensor which typically results in smaller, lighter lenses. An 11-16 DX lens and an 11-16 FX lens would behave exactly the same on a DX camera: a field of view of 16-24 or so.