HELP! NEW D3200 owner - what lense next?

Monkman80

Hi All, I've just bought myself a D3200 with 18-55mm VR Lense to get started. And new to the forum!

I have a little experience in using SLR's as my father uses one for his work (although he's not an experience pro and uses it mostly in idiot proof all the time). I've got a good understanding of the shutter speeds and aperatures and started to get the hang of this quite quickly, however, I feel quite restricted by scope of the lense. I don't want to run before I can walk, but would like a little more scope on shots I'm taking which are mostly sport and show jumping.

What's the best next lense to get? I was thinking 55-200 or 55-300?

HELP!

Last edited by a moderator:

mikew_RIP

Welcome to the forum,my suggestion is you go for the 55-300, if you find the 300mm end gives you problems while your learning ignore it, limit yourself to 200mm until your experience and confidence grows.If you buy the 55-200 like so many photographers you will at some time wish you had got the 300mm.
Have fun and enjoy

mike

marce

I use mainly 35 and 55mm primes, but have the 55-300, the extra reach was a big benefit compared to the 55-200 that came with my original kit. Recently went to a local Nature Reserve, and just took the 55-300, it allowed me to both zoom in to distance birds and take some decent close ups of smaller critters.
A good value lens which produces respectable picture, though in low light a tripod is a big benefit.