New to DSLR and chose D5100

ducz24

Hello all. Just wanted to say hello as my first post. I am new to the DSLR world and I was stuck on choosing between the Cannon T3i or the Nikon D5100. Well obviously I went with Nikon since I felt it was the best for what I am going to use it for. I have been reading a lot here and just wanted to say hello! Good Day!

Horoscope Fish

Welcome aboard. I think you'll find your D5100 is an extraordinarily capable camera.

My only suggestion, right off the bat, is that you go into your "Shooting" menu, drop down to "Set Picture Control", click right one time and from there adjust the "Sharpness" setting to +6 or +7. Do some test shots at both the factory setting and +7 and just see if you don't notice a dramatic improvement.

ducz24

Thanks
Thanks
Welcome aboard. I think you'll find your D5100 is an extraordinarily capable camera. My only suggestion, right off the bat, is that you go into your "Shooting" menu, drop down to "Set Picture Control", click right one time and from there adjust the "Sharpness" setting to +6 or +7. Do some test shots at both the factory setting and +7 and just see if you don't notice a dramatic improvement.
I did this and set mine at +6 along with the Active D-lighting off. And yes I saw the difference between the default settings and the +6 setting. I was really glad read about it.
Welcome to the forum,i bought the D5100 a couple of weeks ago. mike
Thanks. How does the D5100 compare to the D70?
Welcome! Tap'n on the Galaxy S3
Thanks

ducz24

Also in a couple of weeks, we are going to Hawaii. Should I use the "beach" setting or just play around using the Aperture priority when shooting at the beach? What about the sunset and sunrise shots? Should I use those settings for the scene or manual? Thoughts and suggestions? Thanks in advance!

mikew_RIP

Totally different,i used the D5100 for a week without touching the D70 and thought how i miss the way the D70 handles,then played with the D70 and it felt like an antique,i have added a battery grip just to increase the bulk of the D5100 the two things i would like on the new one are a way of locking the focus point,i know its easy to move back to the centre it just shouldn't be as easy to move it away,and a wheel to adjust the iso quickly while the camera is at your eye.

mike