Can't access the AF-area mode Viewfinder

pratta1

Hi all. I just purchased a Nikon D3200 and I'm already frustrated....mind you I'm totally ignorant with any camera. Just trying to start a new hobby.

So I'm trying to get to the AF mode of the camera and the option for AF-area mode viewfinder is not available the Liveview/movie is available but not the other. I have followed the manual instructions....and of course they are useless....this coming from a technical writer, you know that is upsetting me...hehe:D .

Can someone please help me? Maybe I should just reset to default...who knows what I've done. :suspicion:

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum

If you fill out your profile we can better answer any questions that you might have.
You can do that at http://nikonites.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

Some useful links
Nikon Product Manuals available for download
Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor

Probably a good idea to reset to default. Then go through with the manual in hand and go through each menu choice and set it. I do that with every new piece of equipment I get. Phone, Computer, tablet etc. I think I know everything but doing this always shows me that I don't. Every few months I will pick up the manual and go through it with the equipment in hand again and generally I will pick up on something that I had missed the first time.
Problem with most technical writing is that it is either written at a level that is to basic or to advanced. Nikon generally does a pretty good job of covering the basics early in the paragraph and then going into more advanced as the section goes on. That is how World Book wrote their articles many years ago when they still had the World Book Encyclopedias

nickt

I'm not sure what you mean by 'AF-area viewfinder'. Are you saying you are in viewfinder mode (versus live view)? If you are in view finder mode, be sure you are not in AUTO on the mode dial. Be in P,S,A or M to change focus area. I'm not sure about the scene modes, I don't have a d3200.