South Louisiana Lightning Show

vmcdonald

I Managed to get about 7 shots (out of ~30 shots) of lightning last night, w/ these 3 decent ones. I love a good electrical storm and this was my first time attempting this and definately not my last.

Picture007_zps81e0b876.jpg

Picture008_zps4898bdc9.jpg.

Picture010_zpsd06e9627.jpg

vmcdonald

Thanks guys.

Dave, you just have to let the storm work for you but I imagine that San Diego doesn't lend itself to capturing many lightning shots since the weather tends to be generally clear. I've seen your work and I seriously doubt it is from lack of knowledge and skill, you have some stunning shots on your website.

Whiskey, you are right, the gap in the trees off in the distance is not that great. I looked at the weather radar before taking these and it appeared that the bulk of the energy was in the general direction that I was shooting so I set up that way and starting shooting. Most of the shots including these were w/ a 13s shutter speed and f/10 on sturdy tripod which is critical.

Samsonite

I was shooting mine at 20 or 30 seconds to get more chance of capturing each strike, I love lightning shots! There's a different type of satisfaction compared to any other photography, capturing Mother Nature at her most powerful and electrifying (Excuse the pun) :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!