Tokina 12 - 24 F4 DXII

Samsonite

Hi All,

After weeks of deliberating between the Sigma 10 - 20, Tamron 10 - 20 and Tokina 11 - 16 F2.8 DXII, I finally decided to buy the Tokina and was about to buy it when I came across the Tokina 12 - 24 DXII F4. I hadnt heard of it previously, and didnt find much info about it. Im looking to buy a wideangle lens for Landscapes and Night sky photography, the comparison I did find, stated that the 12 - 24 is better for Landscapes. Has anyone got first hand experience with this lens? Any other comparisons you have found?

Im really confused between he 2 now and cant decide.

Which would you recommend for Landscapes and night sky photography?

Any help will be much appreciated!

NB: The 12-24 F4 is cheaper than the 11-16 too

RockyNH_RIP

Hi All,

After weeks of deliberating between the Sigma 10 - 20, Tamron 10 - 20 and Tokina 11 - 16 F2.8 DXII, I finally decided to buy the Tokina and was about to buy it when I came across the Tokina 12 - 24 DXII F4. I hadnt heard of it previously, and didnt find much info about it. Im looking to buy a wideangle lens for Landscapes and Night sky photography, the comparison I did find, stated that the 12 - 24 is better for Landscapes. Has anyone got first hand experience with this lens? Any other comparisons you have found?

Im really confused between he 2 now and cant decide.

Which would you recommend for Landscapes and night sky photography?

Any help will be much appreciated!

NB: The 12-24 F4 is cheaper than the 11-16 too

I am deliberating the same... (lens). Not familiar with the 12-24 so what you find out will be interesting. I am leaning towards the sigma... but we will see what pops up on my radar!! :)

Pat in NH

Samsonite

Why are you leaning towards sigma? I was too originally, but read too many reviews of them being inconsistent, and a lot of them are 'bad' copies, which have significant focussing issues...

Epoc

The 11-16 absolutely craps on the 12-24. There is no comparison in quality and distortion. Google search Tokina 11-16 vs Tokina 12-24 and see. Just buy the 11-16, be happy and go and shoot quality pics.

RockyNH_RIP

Why are you leaning towards sigma? I was too originally, but read too many reviews of them being inconsistent, and a lot of them are 'bad' copies, which have significant focussing issues...

It is a combination of things... probably none earthe shattering :)

Throughout all the reviews, the tokina 11 was given a slight edge on image quality but it was also consderable more $$.
I did not care for the push/pull for auto/manual focus.

I also read the reviews you did indicating some issues with sigma.. and countered that with many here giving it a thumbs up.

I am not using it as an everyday, more of a speciality item... so I will likely be buying used. When I said leaning, mostly cost and availability on the used market. My plan is to buy from a reputable dealer (B&H, Adorama etc) or local like craigslist where I can touch and feel the lens and take some shots to evaluate.

Whichever shows up with the right price will likely get my money... :)

Pat in NH

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Reading all of these posts, it reminds me when I was just starting with this hobby.

First the DSLR with kit lens, followed by a cheaper flash (SB 400), then followed by the SB 600 since it was not cutting it. Then the longer zoom lens. I needed something wider than 18mm, so, here comes the Tokina 12-24mm f4. None of these were great for indoor, so I had to get some prime lenses (50mm and 35mm f1.8).

I later started visiting some websites who uses pro lenses and how they could achieve creamy bokeh. They were too expensive, so I settled for the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. The AF and IQ was not that great so I sold all of them and got the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8. Then, the rest was history.

Sounds familiar?

Samsonite

Sounds like we all go through this painstaking process of building up our "toolkit" for photography...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!

Samsonite

If the 11-16 really has better IQ I guess I will just buy that, I recon the bugger aperture will also help with night photography and star trails....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!

Epoc

^^Agreed, wrong choice of words. It was Friday evening and the wine was doing it's job. :p Lets say the 11-16 is a better lens than the 12-24 for the reasons posted. Nice pics by the way :cool: