Cheers from Colorado

Celticman

I am a former teacher, beginning another career. Currently I am a Graphic Design student. I also hold a degree in Equine Science. I was a Camera salesman many years ago and am familiar with film cameras.
I just purchased a Nikon D800 and am trying to utilize it's great potential. My first Nikon was a Sears Tower Type III with a 50mm F2 lens. Sears was the very first importer of Nikon cameras to the U.S. after World War II. Nikon made exact copies of Leica cameras such as the Type III. I also have a Pentax MX that I still love.
I have four Nikon lenses for my D800. My favorite is the 105mm F2.8 IF micro. As a starter project this summer, I hope to roam through Rocky Mountain National Park and capture some of its beauty. I hope to post some images soon.

Watch72

Hi Celticman - Welcome to the Forum.
Looks like we have a few things in common.
I am also a film camera person and recently got myself the D800E.
You will love the D800 and the 105mm f/2.8 Micro.
I know because I have the same set up.;)
Looking forward to your pictures.

crycocyon

Sounds like you have some camera history behind you as well as a great new setup for exploring the world of photography. You're in a great state (Colorado) for nature photography so looking forward to seeing some pics. Here's hoping you guys get plenty of rain this summer. :)

Whiskeyman

Welcome, Celticman, to Nikonites. I hope you enjoy it here. I moved from Colorado Springs ten years ago this month. My whole family misses the place and the people we were close to there.

Unfortunately, my time there was not spent utilizing the wonderful landscape and scenery for photography. Friends and family who visited us there saw more of the place than we did.

That's a good reason for me to visit the place.

​WM

Celticman

Thanks for the welcome everyone! This seems like a great place to share and learn!

I am planning on getting out this weekend to shoot some pictures in the mountains. I think I'll have to purchase a device to store these huge files! My computer groans when I download my photos. I am trying to get the hang of using ViewNX2. I've only used iPhoto on my Mac before. I'm scheduled to take two Photoshop classes this fall.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend, everyone!

Celticman

I feel very fortunate to live here. There are so many things to enjoy! The St. Vrain drainage, which the Cache La Poudre River is part of, actually caught up with a "normal" snowpack this spring. We sure don't need to have more forest fires this year!

​I'll bet your 300mm F2.8 is a beauty!

BackdoorArts

Welcome, Celticman. This east coaster fell in love with your state when I was doing a 16 month consulting gig in Denver. Suffice it to say, when housing prices bounce back and we're ready, my wife and I will be house hunting out there.

RMNP is an amazing place. I suspect you're going to find that something wider than the 105mm will be needed to capture the full beauty of the place, so I hope one of the other 3 lenses fits the bill. Looking forward to seeing your shots.

The D800 is a fantastic camera, but the big files will make a lot of computers groan. I suspect an large external HD will work for you, particularly if you're shooting in RAW mode. You may want to investigate moving beyond ViewNX as well to get the most out of that camera. Adobe Lightroom will help you keep those files organized and also give you a little more post-processing power. I highly recommend it. Version 4 is currently the available release, but you can download a free Beta version of 5, which is supposed to be available in June or July. With your equipment it's well worth the investment when it's released.