D100 arrived without body cap: best way to clean out any dust particles?

slickrock

I am totally new to this type of camera (D100). I stepped up from a Fujifilm S700 that I used for 8 years.

My new to me D100 arrived without a body cap (although it was inside a soft case). Before I install a lens, can someone give me a suggestion on how to make sure there isn't any dust or other particles on the mirrors?

Should I spray compressed air (like computer cleaner in a can) or is there a better, safer option because that seems a bit violent to the delicate workings inside the body?

Thanks, Dan

Whiskeyman

Should I spray compressed air (like computer cleaner in a can) or is there a better, safer option because that seems a bit violent to the delicate workings inside the body?

Thanks, Dan

NO! Don't use canned compressed air on photography equipment. There is too great a danger that you'll damage something. I know because I learned this the hard way.

Get a squeeze-bulb blower or take it to a shop that can clean it for you.

Rexer John

NO! Don't use canned compressed air on photography equipment.

Too right, that stuff will leave residue much worse than any dust.

That's not the best way to ship a camera body, makes you wonder about the people you bought it from.
Here's hoping the camera turns out to be a good one.
Or maybe you could just send it back.

How many shutter actuations has it got?
>>>CLICK HERE<<<

Dave_W

The Dude
Depending upon where you live and how close you are to a camera repair shop, you might want to consider having the sensor professionally cleaned and then as time goes by learn to clean it yourself. Chances are pretty good that your sensor is dirty from being left open and from being used and is in need of a good wet cleaning.

slickrock

Thanks for the responses. The only saving grace was that the camera was put right into the soft case after the lens was removed (seller sold them separately) so I hope it isn't too dirty. I couldn't see any dust in there but my eyes aren't as sensitive as the camera.

Good to know about the compressed air. I'll pick up one of these rubber things that suck the snot out of kids noses from a pharmacy for the air puffer and once I get the lens, I'll know more. Unfortunately, living in a rural town doesn't leave me a lot of options for a professional camera shop. If it can't be bought at Walmart or Kmart, I'm shipping it or driving for an hour.

Whiskeyman

Good to know about the compressed air. I'll pick up one of these rubber things that suck the snot out of kids noses from a pharmacy for the air puffer and once I get the lens, I'll know more. Unfortunately, living in a rural town doesn't leave me a lot of options for a professional camera shop. If it can't be bought at Walmart or Kmart, I'm shipping it or driving for an hour.

I can't say anything about the local pharmacy's "snot suckers", but all of the on-line photography stores have something like the "Rocket Blower" that a lot of photographers will attest to. I do believe that Wally World and K's both sell some incarnation of them, but often these are too small to really do a lot of good.
You will want one that moves enough volume of air to clean the camera.

In the meantime, keep a lens on the camera to keep it from more contamination.

Good luck.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
The Giottos Rocket Blaster is a great rocketblower. This brand has a filter on the back end so it doesn't suck in dust then blow it out into your camera body. It comes in 3 sizes: small, medium, and large. The small doesn't do much but the large is terrific (medium is okay, too), but obviously the large will move the most air. It's a good idea to get a camera blower so you can periodically blow the sensor clean anyway.

Good luck with your D100! :)

Rexer John

The Giottos Rocket Blaster is a great rocketblower. This brand has a filter on the back end so it doesn't suck in dust then blow it out into your camera body.

A filter would be a good idea but it doesn't have one (I opened mine up to check), just a flap valve.
It would be easy to put a mini filter in the rear opening, just make sure it doesn't go in so far that it interferes with the flap valve.

blower.JPG

nickt

B&H and Adorama each have one model of the rocket blower on free shipping. I'd hold off on the snot sucker and get a nice one. I'll tell you though, its not the fastest free shipping, both places use that cheap mail service for the free shipping where fed ex or ups drops it off at your local post office and your mail man delivers it.