moon close up shots

patrick in memphis

how deee, lol tonight i got out my new barlow for my sct telescope and was trying to do some close ups of moon craters. i can get the craters but the pics are a little fuzzy.i was running 800 iso and 1/15th sec i believe. the moon was in my neighbors tree line so i limited time to play. i was thinking to try jacking my iso and dropping my exp time and maybe stacking.anyone got any experience at this?????

Attachments

• DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,482
  • DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 299

STM

I suspect the reason the images are unsharp is camera shake. The greater the magnification, especially with a telescope, the more even the slightest amount of camera shake will affect sharpness. They also look rather underexposed. A rule of thumb exposure for a moon shot is the same as the Bright Sunny Day rule; 1/ASA @ f/16.

theregsy

If the moon was low in the sky it could be atmospheric interference causing the blur which is apparently worse when you shoot across the earth's surface through the atmosphere rather than up. equally I know that the moon is a nightmare to get a good photo of, nice pictures though.

Samsonite

I think you're better off going the other way, drop the ISO and increase the shutter speed, all my moon hogs are at ISO 100..... Fuzziness could also be the optics of the telescope, i dont know what telescope you have, but from what I've read, most entry level telescopes then be a bit soft not sharp...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!