Aerial video via hexacopter anyone?

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Apparently $7,300 is what it takes to get a complete professional level aerial video system, including a 3 axis gyroscopic gimbal for a micro 5/3 camera (like the Panasonic GH2), auto pilot w/ GPS, and batteries.

Ready to Fly DJI S800 Hexacopter w Zenmuse Z15 WKM Autopliot Futaba 8FG Radio | eBay

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they have a DSLR gimbal, although the description says the DJI S800 copter can lift 2.5kg or 5.5lbs (the gimbal is 1.3kg/2.8lbs). So, it should be able to lift, say a D7100 (1.69lbs) with an 18-55mm lens (0.58lbs) with 0.43lbs to spare. I would assume the gimbal would have to be a little bit larger.

This would explain why so many people were interested in the $1000 eye3 DSLR setup that popped up on Kickstarter last year, but turned out to be a sham.

Jon

I bought this cheap $50 helicopter Syma 107C last week. It has a video camera. I just fly it inside the house. Now that I have improved my flying skills, I was looking for an upgrade. I wish I had the extra $7,300.00 but I don't. So I found this STORM Drone FF Flying Platform which is selling for USD $359.90. It cannot lift a dslr but it can carry a GOPRO® Hero 2 camera. HeliPal.com - STORM Drone FF Flying Platform On board Camera Test Flight - YouTube

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Jack, yeah I remember seeing that before. Pretty neat!

​One of the big differences between this setup and one that can just take pictures is the gimbal, which is $3,500 alone. I'm sure the video wouldn't be as smooth without it. There's also the ability to remote control where the camera is pointing.

Yeah, my buddy uses a gimbel also, and has the ability to control where the camera is pointed. He uses a D800, by the way.

He flies...I take the pictures using a remote monitor and joysticks and a radio control unit.

Last edited by a moderator: