Homepage or Flickr?

wud

Did my homepage not so long ago on Wordpress as it should work well with Facebook (something with Facebook liking this link-back and therefore show your post in the news feed). But I think the link you get when linking from Wordpress, are annoying, so now I upload 1 picture to Facebook and then write the link for the post.

But with this new and very cool Flickr, could it be it would be just as great using that for my homepage? I dont really write a lot of text, I just wanna show my pictures.

Do you have a homepage? Or do you use a blog/Flickr/Facebook?

wud

Try it and see if you like it!

Well, I of course have a Flickr already. But no reason giving out that link to people, if Im not gonna use it.

Oh also, I'm tired of uploading to a million different places, dont know if Flickr is easier that way (I know you can download an upload program and it works pretty good).

Eye-level

Banned
One advantage of flickr is that it is a good platform for a one stop shop. Now you have a ton of storage space available there too...for free. You don't have to download an upload program either it is already there. The new deal at flickr I think still has a bug or two but I am sure they will have the kinks worked out real fast.

It will help you control and organize your images. Beware of image theft always..but I think being at flickr helps with that if it used in conjunction with Google images.

What is What up dog! | Photography Is that server space you have purchased? If so I would recommend downloading a ftp client such as filezilla and then upload to a file set up on your server. This is the best way IMO.

wud

One other option. Using Flickr in your wordpress site.

WordPress › Slickr Flickr « WordPress Plugins

Hey thanks! Havent seen that :)

One advantage of flickr is that it is a good platform for a one stop shop. Now you have a ton of storage space available there too...for free. You don't have to download an upload program either it is already there. The new deal at flickr I think still has a bug or two but I am sure they will have the kinks worked out real fast.

It will help you control and organize your images. Beware of image theft always..but I think being at flickr helps with that if it used in conjunction with Google images.

What is What up dog! | Photography Is that server space you have purchased? If so I would recommend downloading a ftp client such as filezilla and then upload to a file set up on your server. This is the best way IMO.

My website is free, I only paid for the domain somewhere else so I would have this short adress. Been so long since I did stuff with ftp and all, that I havent looked into it, I just use the uploader on the site. But there are a lot of double work, for example if I delete a picture, I'll have to go to the post afterwards to fix the text.
And I feel like I have to write some text for each post and I dont know what to write, lol.

I very much like the look at Flickr now, Im not happy with my homepage but dont have money for buying a pro theme at the time (85$).

I find it helpfull that I can upload big files to Flickr, that way I could send the link and people could download themself.. Maybe it could be done with 2 uploads, a public one with resized pictures + my logo, and then a private one with the big sizes.
Now I send 2 emails for whomever I took pictures for, one with sizes for internet and one with sizes for print.

Fork

The reason I don't use Flickr as my portfolio is because I dump a lot of my crap there as well as my best stuff. Although my Flickr stream is public, I never direct people to my Flickr to show my work. I don't mind people finding it naturally or clicking through to it if I link a specific image from it, but I'd never use it as my main promotional space.

My homepage has my best images singled out and on display. I can use Flickr as a storage area to look at my own photos in my own time.

If you use Flickr as your main portfolio, be prepared to be harsh on your own photos and don't upload your mediocre shots and holiday snaps.

I use Squarespace (see link in sig). I love it. It's customisable (or you can code your own entire website if you prefer), has a built-in blog, unlimited storage, is a piece of cake to use and links to all your social networks. Plus it just costs just $20 per month ($10 if you choose the lower tariff).

Last edited:

wud

The reason I don't use Flickr as my portfolio is because I dump a lot of my crap there as well as my best stuff. Although my Flickr stream is public, I never direct people to my Flickr to show my work. I don't mind people finding it naturally or clicking through to it if I link a specific image from it, but I'd never use it as my main promotional space.

My homepage has my best images singled out and on display. I can use Flickr as a storage area to look at my own photos in my own time.

If you use Flickr as your main portfolio, be prepared to be harsh on your own photos and don't upload your mediocre shots and holiday snaps.

I use Squarespace (see link in sig). I love it. It's customisable (or you can code your own entire website if you prefer), has a built-in blog, unlimited storage, is a piece of cake to use and links to all your social networks. Plus it just costs just $20 per month ($10 if you choose the lower tariff).

That is some very good points. And actually Im using my homepage now to upload a lot, but I think I should maybe do as you say, and only upload some of the best.

I dont use Flickr for holiday snaps or anything like that.

Very nice homepage you got, and beautiful pictures! I like the color divided pictures.