Looking at buying, but unsure on this deal.

riggz

I'm looking at buying a D600 kit with the 24-85mm lens from a seller who says it was a gift from his ex-g/f who will not give him the receipt. He says she paid around $2300 for it from an online retailer who she will also not name (I'm guessing a bad break up). Seller states the camera is brand new, only opened the box to show that there is a camera inside, but never took it out. I requested a picture of the box but it's not the normal box. It does have the warranty card and it says DLX retail kit, but I'm used to seeing the gold and black colored box for the body. Thanks in advance!

Has anyone purchased one that looks like this?

D600-1.jpgD600-2.jpgD600-3.jpg

riggz

I've seen some gray colored refurb boxes, but this says "DLX Retail Package" which would sort of contradict a refurb.. *shrug*

Horoscope Fish

I dunno dude... I'm always leery of "weird s--t" during a business transaction. It's business. You conform to standard business practice or we don't do business. I like saving a few bucks as much as the next guy but people with nothing to hide, hide nothing.

The whole ex-GF thing just sets of an alarm for me, personally. But that's me...

Good luck, whatever you decide!

RockyNH_RIP

I have no idea where you are located... nor where is the seller.. is he local or is this an ebay or craigslist thing..

I tend to be very suspicious if I cannot "see" and "touch" it...

Pat in NH

Whiskeyman

It looks like a Nikon Refurbished item box to me. W/O info on why it was refurbished, and w/o any warranty or return option, I wouldn't touch this.

Just my $.02 worth. Good luck, either way.

WM

BackdoorArts

I bought mine in a kit, so the white box for the lens is familiar, but not for the camera. Mine came with the standard gold box packaged inside another gold box for the kit. It may very well be a refurb body. Regardless of the warranty card, Nikon will require a copy of the receipt for warranty work, so whether new or refurb you're not going to get warranty service on it. Rice would need to be pretty good for me to bite, and I'd make sure I had something in writing from him stating you have 48 hours approval, payment would be via PayPal which will give you some protection if you have the letter regarding approval. All said, though, it seems a bit dodgy. If it doesn't feel right, walk away. You're probably better off with the $1559 refurb prince that's being offered now on the body.

marcelt

I have a Nikon d600 with all original package,original items, learning DVD, with a nikkor 24-70mm f2.8 lens or a nikkor 50mm f/1.8 g lens if interested,thanks Marcelt

eli

I suggest caution, and, if you really wish to purchase the D600, look at reputable dealers where you know what you are getting,
and the seller will be there tomorrow if there is a problem. When someone tries to save a few dollars in a deal that looks, well,
irregular, that person becomes an easy target convincing himself that all is O.K. despite reservations.

Eye-level

Banned
Offer him a thousand...if the x story is true and she is such a @#^$^...he'll be glad to get rid of it.

Where does one find a girlfriend that will buy you a $2300 rig???

MrF

... Where does one find a girlfriend that will buy you a $2300 rig???

People sometimes do crazy things for 'love' but this is a good point. Especially if the relationship was so rocky that it ended badly enough that she wouldn't give him the receipt or tell him where she bought it. If she's that spiteful, why didn't she take the camera back?

I'd tread lightly. If it's a local sale, meet him in a public place and check it out. Note the serial number and give Nikon a call and see if they'll verify that it's a legit USA model or not. I'll concur with everyone else that this seems fishy. Might be gray market, or it might be one that 'fell off a truck' or was otherwise unscrupulously obtained.

riggz

I passed on that one and picked up one with under 200 clicks along with the 24-85mm lens. Seller emailed me his receipt from BandH and both warranty cards are included so I think I got a fair deal given the current prices! I've got twins coming in October so I wanted to get a head start on being familiar with this beast. :)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Nikon warranty only applies to the original buyer that has their name on the receipt unless something changed lately that I am not aware of.