Focus issue

Trikeguy

When I take sports photos, the problem I am having is that when I want to photograph a single player and there are other players closer to me that are in the view, the camera focuses on the player closest to me and not on the player I want to focus on. This has nothing to do with depth of field, which I know how to do.

Is there a way to set up the focus so that I can get the camera to focus on the player I want, like single focus. I have read through the manual and have not found a way to do this, unless I am missing something which is probably the case.

Thanks

Horoscope Fish

When I take sports photos, the problem I am having is that when I want to photograph a single player and there are other players closer to me that are in the view, the camera focuses on the player closest to me and not on the player I want to focus on. This has nothing to do with depth of field, which I know how to do. Is there a way to set up the focus so that I can get the camera to focus on the player I want, like single focus. I have read through the manual and have not found a way to do this, unless I am missing something which is probably the case.
The buttons surrounding the "OK" button will move the focus point selector up, down, left and right. See page 75 of the manual. If you want the focus points to "wrap around" the viewfinder, there's a setting in the menus for that.

Pro Tip: The online manual (in pdf format) is searchable from within your browser.

Last edited:

dmc

Perhaps I can put it in a slightly different way.

While I prefer reading technical papers to a good book, and can find whatever I need in the manual (usually;)), there are many people, my wife being one, who simply dread opening a manual and cannot make heads or tails of it in any event. For those dear souls, I really don't think telling them to "read the manual", or the famous "it's in the book" is really very helpful.

I know your heart is in the right place, Big Al, but we need to be here to help everyone, not just good readers. Peace, brother.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Perhaps I can put it in a slightly different way.

While I prefer reading technical papers to a good book, and can find whatever I need in the manual (usually;)), there are many people, my wife being one, who simply dread opening a manual and cannot make heads or tails of it in any event. For those dear souls, I really don't think telling them to "read the manual", or the famous "it's in the book" is really very helpful.

I know your heart is in the right place, Big Al, but we need to be here to help everyone, not just good readers. Peace, brother.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am one who always reads the manual and always suggest it BUT sometimes manuals are not written well or on the level for a beginner and that is were we can help. But even if you don't understand the manual it is always a good idea to read it anyway so that you can better ask questions.

Epoc

I use shutter priority. Faster than 1/1000th if I'm freezing the action. Less than 1/250th if I'm looking for blur. Select single point focus and continuous focus. Burst mode on. Metering is dependant on what sort of light your in. Make sure your focus point is where you want focus and fire away :)