d600 pop up flash not closing properly

laurences

just got my new d600 out of the box and noticed the pop up flash is not properly seated in its closed position, its about 5mm open, and one of the small lever arms at the back is loose and rattles, any had any similar problems out there?

BackdoorArts

I am beginning to think that they tried to cram to much stuff in to small a camera body with the D600...

Really?! There's not that much more than the D7000/7100, and the flash sits on top of everything else. Even if they did "cram" stuff inside, this is an outside thing and likely just a result of bad assembly or perhaps a drop.

Take/send it back.

Mfrankfort

Take it back, and get a new one. Especially if it is new, I'd go back to the store. Tell them to fix the dust issue too.. cause that's coming. haha.

Eye-level

Banned
Really?! There's not that much more than the D7000/7100, and the flash sits on top of everything else. Even if they did "cram" stuff inside, this is an outside thing and likely just a result of bad assembly or perhaps a drop.

Take/send it back.

Or maybe it has been serviced and they forgot a few screws? hummm

As for the issue of the D7000/D7100...no comparison...look at the difference in size of the sensors...my theory cram a big sensor in a little body with poor engineering (of the foam seal placement maybe?) = problems. Just a theory...

Isn't the FX sensor nearly twice as big as the DX sensors? Add a partnership with Sony to the mix??? Seems like it would be an easy recall and repair but then again...there are all those screws...

Last edited:

bobonit

I have to agree with the above posts. If it is new, take it back for a new replacement. If it had been dropped or something along those lines, there could be other internal damage that you don't know about.

BackdoorArts

As for the issue of the D7000/D7100...no comparison...look at the difference in size of the sensors...my theory cram a big sensor in a little body with poor engineering (of the foam seal placement maybe?) = problems. Just a theory...

Isn't the FX sensor nearly twice as big as the DX sensors? Add a partnership with Sony to the mix??? Seems like it would be an easy recall and repair but then again...there are all those screws...

Sure, there's a sensor size difference, but think of it this way - the sensor is mounted to a circuit board that sits behind a lens mount that is the same size as that of the DX camera. Sure, the mirror/shutter assembly is also smaller, but outside of the sensor and shutter assembly itself, everything else within the camera should be basically the same. As you can see in the photos below, the D600 and D7000 are essentially the same size, with the D600 standing slightly taller (likely due to the larger mirror/shutter assembly). I suspect the interior fit is no tighter than the DX cousin.

My point is that the flash assembly sits on top of the structure, essentially outside the camera, and any malfunction of that unit should have little to nothing to do with what's going on inside.

D600-7000-0.jpgD600-7000-1.jpg

If it was purchased new, or refurb, it's a no brainer - return it. If it was bought used, caveat emptor.