Inside the D600

Mfrankfort

Eh, they always give you a few spare parts. They probably didn't do anything important anyways. Maybe those parts were causing the dust? You might be a genius, haha.

Eye-level

Banned
Did that article say 9000 ​screws?

I would be interested to see if there is some weird type of foam seal on or near the mirror or that is around the sensor and interacts with the mirror. Black specks huh? Anyone ever refoamed an old film camera body? :)

Any of you D600 owners handy with a double ock screwdriver?

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
When one wet cleans a sensor I assume it is turned off. What would happen if the camera was turned on and you wet cleaned it? Would it short circuit the sensor?

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
When one wet cleans a sensor I assume it is turned off. What would happen if the camera was turned on and you wet cleaned it? Would it short circuit the sensor?

I cleaned my sensor with the camera on because I used the mirror lock-up feature. When the camera is turned off, the mirror returns to its normal position.

Dave_W

The Dude
You cannot clean your camera with it "on". Once the shutter is in the up position the camera is, for all practical purposes, off.

Eye-level

Banned
What I am getting at is the Sony sensor in the D600 has a network of wires in between the sensor pixels that carry the information to the processor...if that wire is exposed it seems liquid would short circuit the sensor...if the particles that appear on the D600 sensor were metallic could they short circuit the sensor somehow? Maybe the sensor is covered with something that protects the circuitry if you will???

Eye-level

Banned
OK...it looks like that whenever someone cleans a D600 sensor you are not cleaning the sensor per say you are cleaning some filters over the top of the actual sensor.

Eye-level

Banned
OK...I would not be scared of buying a D600 but here is the first thing I would do when I got the body before I ever shot a picture with it...I would contact John Goodman and get a piece of foam. Then I would scrape off all of the foam on the camera body where the mirror slaps the top of the frame and replace it with this new foam. My theory why this has become an issue with the D600 is that they have some kind of screwy inferior compound foam formulation at that point and the mirror is "dragging" particles off of the foam piece in question and slapping them on the bottom of the covered sensor. The reason why they are coming back from repair with the same issue is because they keep using the same foam and the same thing happens over again. Take a lupe and look at that foam piece and see if it is rough looking.

Surely it couldn't be so simple???

John Goodman will sell you a piece of foam for like 9 bucks...I am contacting him soon and discussing this issue with him...he was Interslice on ebay but he has stopped selling there...Goodman and Interslice foam kits have an excellent reputation for film camera reseal foam kits and have for years...now lots of folks have jumped in on the goldmine...

​If this is indeed a solution than now is the time to snap up those cheap D600's that everyone has relegated to the lemon heap...

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

No it wouldn't. I saw a tech in the local store clean my sensor and instead of using the cleaning mode within the menu, he was just using "B" (bulb) mode. Since I was there as an observer, I didn't say a thing but question this and he told me this is the way he does it. To me, I found that a little unproductive because I think that when the sensor is trying to record, it might be attracting more dust because of the magnetic field created with the current. This is just something I did witness but I would never clean my sensor this way just being afraid of a slip-up that could damage the shutter if my finger would slip off the exposure button.

BackdoorArts

Absolutely right, Marcel. I think he's just a leftover from film days when that was the only way you looked behind the mirror/shutter.

As for the foam producing dust, perhaps. But I suspect that it's no different than the foam in the D7000/D7100, so why would it be a problem in one and not the other? That said, the mirror slap in both cameras is not unsubstantial, and as Marcel pointed out in a post a month or two back the use of the Q shutter mode can provide a measurable improvement in sharpness (my D600 is in Q mode by default, as was/is my D7000 when used). There is evidence that the shutter itself may be producing the dust as scrape-wear marks have been seen in some (Dave has a post about it under this forum).

Eye-level

Banned
I didn't really think about the shutter...if that is the case then that would explain why Nikon seemingly is trying to sweep it under the rug. Is the shutter in the D600 substantially different than the ones in other models?

BackdoorArts

No idea, but I would presume so. First "consumer grade" full frame shutter, so they either had to use a D800/D3x/D4x shutter, or come up with something new. Given that it's not rated for the same number of activations as the pro-level cameras I would say it's the one and only of its kind.