D3100 vs. D3200

AmandaNola

I wasn't sure where to put this, so feel free to move it. And yes, I know there's a sticky on this, but it confused me more than anything else.

I need to replace my D3100, and I'm torn between getting another 3100 or getting the D3200. In basic, simple terms, what is the difference between them? Is the D3200 noticeably better, and worth spending the extra money on, or would I be better off getting the camera I have and know inside and out?

TIA

Actually you would be better off getting the D5100.

The D3200 has more megapixels but do you really need them? Do you print really big pictures?

The D5100 has more features. Nikon D5100 vs D3100 - Our Analysis

I had the D3100 to begin with and Dropped it and shattered it. I had no choice but to replace it. I went with the D5100 and am so glad I did. You also might want to check out the refurbished D5100. I got mine here Nikon D5100 Digital SLR Camera Body - Factory Refurbished includes Full 1 Year Warranty for $399.00 body only. It comes with a full 1 year warranty.

They have the D3200 in refurbished too Nikon D3200 Digital SLR Camera Body (Black) - Factory Refurbished includes Full 1 Year Warranty

I would buy the D5100 over the D3200 any day of the week. The D3100 would be a distant third place.

Last edited:

Just-Clayton

I noticed the other day that a 3100 w/ 2 lenses at Wal-Mart was selling for $499. I just about died for what I paid over 2 yrs. ago. Me I would get that and sell the lenses since I already have them.

Nero

If I wanted to upgrade my D3100, should I get the D5200 or maybe even the D7100? (Didn't wanna make a new topic about this lol)

FastGlass

One thing that suprises me is that with 10mp more it has a higher burst rate? If you shoot alot of portraits or landscapes than yes I would get the 3200. But with that much more resolution you'll most likely suffer in the noise area when comparing higher ISO settings.

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

I had a feeling. Any distinguishable differences between the two that I should know about?
Well let's see, the D7100 has an internal focus motor, no Low Pass Filter (a very good thing), more focus points, more cross-type focus points, weather sealing, the magnesium alloy body, dual card slots, less shutter lag, better viewfinder coverage, significantly better battery life...

Nero

I'll read a few reviews starting tomorrow. I won't be upgrading for a while and by the time I do I know something better MIGHT come out but this is a good place to start.