Milky Way - Bear Lake, Utah

Moab Man

With some guidance from Dave I was able to capture the following shots. Amazingly, a number of the shots were on the 18-55mm kit lens because I wanted to see if I could and I needed the greater width. Others shots were from a 35mm 1.8G Prime.

1.jpg 2.jpg

Moab Man

The sun rising after hours of standing on a mountain top in sub freezing temps in a light jacket. Glad the night was over to get back in the vehicle and get some warmth.

5.jpg

Whiskeyman

Very cool, Moab Man.

For a different take, visit Shawn Reeder's Yosemite Range of Light page. I can watch the time-lapse over and over.

​WM

crycocyon

Really nice images. It would have been interesting to bump up the ISO and shoot the 35 mm wide open to cut down the exposure time a bit. The 18-55 mm held up pretty good against the 35.

Moab Man

Dave Bravo!! Very nice!! Btw, what time was it when you were making these images?

I took my first shot at 3:39 a.m. mst. The last usable shot, due to the sun rising, was at 4:30 a.m. I had planned on being up there earlier but the drive took longer than expected due to the high number of deer and moose that kept popping into the road.

crycocyon Really nice images. It would have been interesting to bump up the ISO and shoot the 35 mm wide open to cut down the exposure time a bit. The 18-55 mm held up pretty good against the 35.

This was my first attempt and every shot looks spectacular on the tiny LCD. I'm going to go through and study the specs on each shot and see what I did on the shots I like best. I agree, I think a higher ISO with a shorter exposure with the 35mm would have been great to see the results of. However, summer is coming up and I will do this again.

Whiskeyman

Back in February, our astronomy club had an event that looked like it was going to be rained out, but the skies ended up clearing out and the atmosphere was so clear our laser pointers hardly worked. (Due to so little atmospheric "junk".) Even then, it wasn't as clear here as you should get at Bear Lake.

We had a couple of camera mounts on large aperture telescopes and took some photos of the Orion Nebula, and a couple of others. Collecting light through time-exposures allowed us to see so much that we couldn't see otherwise, it was incredible. I recommend that everyone try this at some time.