I'm in Texas

Batlise

I'm Lise - been taking seriously photos since I was 18 - I counted up the years - won't go into that now. Photography is my ........ everything. All these words just flooded into my mind all at once..... I took it to the zoo today - and i caught the Bald Eagle sunning his wings in a half open position. I took many photos of him - he never took his eyes off of me for long. I have not looked at them yet - but a lot of the time - his white head comes out over exposed.....most of the time the eagle is under the tree in the back - trying to keep cool - one day I did get him posing fairly well - but today - it was almost as if that eagle had gotten some of his pride back. The only way a Bald Eagle can be in a zoo is if they cannot live in the wild. There used to be two - now there is only one. Both had broken wings. The wing position today - it looked as if he was tucking both wings in - he was totally symetrical. Also took butterfly photos - the enclosure was not so bad today - it wasn't so hot - a few coi photos - and some various other critters..... I do weddings every now and then - portraits. Would like to do more with that.......

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Lise and welcome to Nikonites! Where about in Texas are you? Which camera do you use? (If you fill out your profile, you won't get asked that anymore.)

Assuming that you're using a DSLR, you might want to try adding negative exposure compensation to reduce the blown out white portion of the eagles head. Post some examples and I'm sure folks around here will try to help.

Last edited:

Joseph Bautsch

Hi Lise and welcome to the Nikonites Community. Eduard is right, it will be easier for us to answer your questions if you complete your profile with some information about yourself and what camera equipment you are using. Eduard is also right in using negative exposure compensation to correct for an overexposure. And assuming that you are using a DSLR something else you might want to check is the exposure metering you are using. The Nikon exposure programing has three methods, matrix, center weighted, and spot. If you have the metering set on center weighted or spot and you are centering your shot on the black body of the eagle then the camera will expose for the black body which results in an overexposed white head. It's recommended you shoot most pictures in the matrix metering method for an overall average exposure. If you have the exposure set on matrix and still get the over exposed head then Eduard's method is the way to correct it.

Ruidoso Bill

Hello Lise, welcome to Nikonites from one of your neighbors. Not sure about your photography but you're one heck of a writer. Glad you found the site.

ilvpsu55

check out my Texas photos... spent some time in San Antonio and the Surruounding areas this past summer I hope you enjoy them.