The AT-X 116 PRO DX-II, has anyone used it on an FX camera?

TedG954

On an FX camera the 11-16mm would become 15.5-24mm. Right?

​I just wondered if there are any negatives. If it is a performer, it would be a good lens for someone that has a DX camera and a FX camera. The price is a lot less than the Nikon 16-35 f/4.

fotojack

Uh, Ted...on an FX camera, an 11-16mm is still an 11-16mm. You mean on a cropped camera...a DX camera....an 11-16mm would be 16.5 - 24mm. I'm using a crop factor of 1.5 for this calculation.

TedG954

Thanks, that's why I'm asking. I get mixed up on that swapping stuff. So, the only changes are when you use an FX lens on a DX camera?

The AT-X 116 PRO DX-II is supposedly and excellent DX lens and I was just wondering how it would perform on an FX camera.

Epoc

This is a DX lens and not really designed for FX. Saying that, I have version 1 of this lens which is basically the same lens without the focus motor. I have used on my D700, but only at 16mm as it vignettes severely at anything less. You do get a slight vignette even at 16mm, but this can be fixed in post.

Geoffc

The 11-16 is a fantastic lens on a DX body and I tried it at 16mm on my D600 when I went FX. It was ok rather than great so I ended up getting the 16-35 to replace it.

If budget was an issue I would have used it for a while but I was fortunate enough to get the 16-35 just after the body.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
When using a DX lens on an FX camera, the camera should have its settings adjusted for a DX lens. A wide angle DX lens won't work the same on an FX body as an FX wide angle lens works. Wide angle lenses are awesome for landscape--such as doing a beach scene. If you position the camera close to the sand, it yields a VERY wide angle point of view. However, when you do that with a DX lens (even on an FX body), you will miss out on the part of the photo that is really close to the camera. A DX lens on an FX body will still crop the image.... If you are looking for a wide angle lens for your FX camera, you should look at FX lenses to get the best field of view.