Sigma 300 f2.8

Cowleystjames

Just ordered one instead of the nikon. I borrowed one from my local dealer to try and was mighty impressed by its crispness and bokeh, but especially the price. Almost half the nikon cost and I don't see why. Okay, it doesn't have image stabilisation but I can live with that if I'm saving £2000!
I hope.....

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

BackdoorArts

I don't know that I'd want to shoot at 300mm without the option of image stabilization, particularly if I felt I would also need the f2.8 for it's brightness. I'd opt for the cost savings option the 300 f4 provides, but that's me - I do a ton of handheld wildlife. It's certainly a brilliant lens. Enjoy!

Cowleystjames

I was having thoughts about shelling out for the Nikon, but I tend to use a monopod or tripod when using a lens such as this, and years ago when I had a lot of Pentax film kit, I used to have a 500mm which was occasionally hand held, at a fast shutter speed, and that was quite acceptable.
​I could be eating my words yet though!

Cowleystjames

I've eaten my words, the sigma had gone back and the nikon 300mm f2.8 vrII is ordered to replace it.
The lens turned out to be a nightmare to mount on the camera, very imprecise, and the converter turned in horrible results.
Come on nikon, blow my mind!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

gqtuazon

Gear Head
It's always best to compare actual performance than just on the cost since these are pretty expensive lenses. The Sigma 300mm f2.8 is also a pretty heavy lens. I sure cannot handhold that and get a sharp image unless I go over 1/2000.

Nikon would be my go to lens especially with the exotic lenses.

STM

I have a 300mm f/2.8 ED-IF AIS Nikkor and it is one of my favorite lenses. It is heavy, about 6 pounds but it is sharp as a razor and very handholdable down to about 1/500 or so.

Sambr

I was having a toss up between the Sigma 120-300 2.8 & the new Nikon 80-400VR - I ended up ordering the Nikon 80-400.

Cowleystjames

Oh boy, the new Nikon 300mm F2.8 VRII came today. Happy boy, but what a lens, the IQ is stunning. Even the case is a work of art. All I have to do now is work out what a large chunk of padding does that came wrapped in a bag inside the box.
Anyone with this lens have any ideas what it's for?