Thinking about buying D90 but concerned about moving to cropped sensor

nikonite

Coming from a 35mm film camera, I'm concerned about moving to a cropped sensor. Basically my 35mm lens will be a 52mm lens :eek:! I like taking wide angle pictures because I mostly shoot indoors. Since this is the case, how do you feel your 35mm handles indoors? Is the view too close up? And what lenses would you recommend for shooting parties indoor?

Quick question, will I have any problems with my lenses vignetting or other issues on the D90?
http://i.imgur.com/0nCW26C.jpg
AF 50mm f/1.8D
http://i.imgur.com/PIQrHEy.jpg AF 35mm f/2

nickt

The 35 is a nice lens on DX. As you point out, it is much like a 50mm would be on 35mm. Everybody should have one. Its good for inside shots of people, one person or a small group around a table, but if you are trying to capture a good part of the room it will be too close. You might want an 18-55 or 18-105, both decent lenses and fairly inexpensive. There are other more pricey lenses if you need something faster.
No problems with your lenses. The vignette problem comes if you buy dx lens and use it on your 35mm or a full frame sensor dslr.

Nikon Photographer

You'll have no problems using those lenses with the D90, as the D90 still has a body mounted AF motor, so the older AF Nikkors work prefectly with it, I still use my 28-105 I bought with my F80 and it works perfectly.

Your 35mm lens will still be a 35mm, as the focal lenth of the lens doesn't change, however as the sensor is smaller than a frame of 35mm film, it actually crops the lens and uses the cental part of the lens, which actually gives better images, you can also buy the DX Nikkors, which I have a couple, they are meant for use with the DX sensor Nikons and will vinette on 35mm or full size sensor Nikons, although there are a few full size that can be sent to use DX lenses.
​If you still need wide angle lenses, then you might need to get something wider than 35mm, an 18mm gives the same angle of view of a 27mm wide angle.

Whiskeyman

nikonite,

​When I came over to using primarily digital, I bought a D90, and if I had it to do over again, the only thing I'd change would be to get the D90 earlier. The D90 was, and is, fine for 95% or more of my photography.

Now that I have a Nikon FX camera, I'm still keeping my D90.

If I were choosing between the D90, D7000 and D7100, it might be a different story!

Good fortune in your decision.

WM

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
As it's been said, you won't have any trouble using those lenses on a D90. You will need to set your aperture to the smallest and leave it there. The D90 utilizes one of the dials to adjust the aperture instead of the aperture ring. It is an adjustment going from a film SLR to a crop sensor, but you will do fine. Things will just look a little closer! :) When I made the change, I went with the D90, too. The D90 doesn't have ISO 100 although it has a LO ISO feature which is just about the same.

If you can afford it, you might want to consider either a D7000 or D7100 over the D90 because they have some better features. If you are going to shoot indoor parties, you might need something wider than a 35mm.

Eye-level

Banned
Your not going to like the viewfinder if you're manual focus...but if your AF then rock on...you'll feel the same way Whiskeyman does...

RobTbob

Whiskeyman is correct, D90 is great, I wouldn't part with it, but I've just upgraded to D600 FX with Nikkor AFS 24mm-70mm, f2.8 ED lens (all good), never go back, but will keep my D90 as backup.

Eye-level

Banned
Look at Kim20's Daily thread...enuff said... :)

But if you can afford it get a D7100 or D700 or D300S or D7000...maybe D600...:)

Or even better yet if you are a cheapskate like me get a D5000...same phenomenal sensor as the D90...these sensors really rock the colors...closest comparable new thing I have seen so far is the 7100..

Last edited:

STM

The D90 is rather dated technology by this time. You might consider some of the newer DX bodies instead.

nikonjim

I've had pretty good results at parties (kids and adults) and at concerts, with the 18-105 lens I got with my D90. It manages to steady most of the antics of kids moving about with the VR control.

FastGlass

I own a D-90. It came with the 18-105mm. Not a bad lense. If you get the D-90 with this lense, at least you have an idea what the 18mm side of it will do for you.