"Audio Format Not Supported"

Smoke

I recorded my Daughter's Spring Concert on video with my new D5200. It saves the file as a ".MOV", I burned the file to a blank DVD. It plays fine on my computer, but when I try to play the DVD on my home DVD player, I get the message "Audio File Not Supported". :confused: My DVD player is brand new, it is an LG, it plays the video but no audio. LG says it's not their fault, Nikon is stumped and "will get back to me".....Is their something I need to do to convert the ".MOV" to another file format? I don't feel I should have to do this. Any ideas?

Fred Kingston

Your home DVD player obviously doesn't support the MOV format... There are conversion programs that will convert MOV to any one of a dozen popular formats that will work... HandBrake is a free one.

Fred Kingston

You do understand that there are probably a dozen or more different audio/video file formats... and the MOV format is a compression format that allows Nikon to store more data that some other formats, thereby allowing you to record more in the camera... The majority of users don't record straight from the camera, and use some type of post-processing to assemble the recorded bit of MOV... The MOV format also allows the videographer the separate the different channels of information within the file for easy editing...

To be honest... if you want to be upset with someone over their lack of support for generally accepted standards... you should be upset with LG for NOT supporting the MOV format...

Fred Kingston

What software are you using to burn the MOV to the DVDs?

That would be the place to change the format. You can't change the file format in the camera.

Smoke

What software are you using to burn the MOV to the DVDs?

That would be the place to change the format. You can't change the file format in the camera.

Read more: http://nikonites.com/d5200/13626-audio-format-not-supported.html#ixzz2Tew7tMxw
Not sure I will check but thanks for the info. My frustration is not with Nikon or LG, maybe its both. Why put out a video in a format that is not read by DVD players and you have to get some 3rd party conversion software involved? Either camera manufacturers need to change their output file extention or the DVD Player manufacturers need to start accepting these file extensions.....I dont get it, it's 2013.....

Fred Kingston

If it's any consolation... Canon uses the same MOV format for their cameras... and Panasonic/Leica uses an MTS format, which almost certainly your DVD player won't even see...

Camera folks choose highly compressible standards because video files are big...and folks would cry if their cameras could only hold/record 2 minutes of video...

DVD Player makers aren't concerned with size... but they are concerned with paying no license fees to use different codecs...

Most all video software allows you to edit/export/output their contents in common DVD formats for playback machines...

Think, DVD players as being the low-man weak-link in the video chain...

​The camera maker creates a product a professional can use... The DVD player maker makes a product a 12 year old can buy in Walmart...

Smoke

Smoke

Converting to MP4 did not work. There is sound and video but very choppy. I will try WhiteLight's program. Thanks for all the responses.

If you are using windows there is a program there that will BURN TO DVD. That is what you need to do. My background is TV so we had to deal with these things all the time. We had $40,000 Blueray burners that would not even play on standard BlueRay players. They were all broadcast quality machines.

Find a program that says it will burn to DVD. not convert and then copy over. There is a difference.