Thinking of getting a D7100

Tomfifield

I have a D200 and I have been looking at the D5100 and the D7100, it looks as if the D7100 is a much better camera. How is the video? i have read that it is a bit soft. I am going to want to use the HDMI out to get some uncompressed video for green screen work on occasion, is the Black magic card for $200 OK for this?

12blackgt

Banned
Call me old fashioned, but I would not buy a DSLR for video. It's ok in a pinch, but a good video camera will still trump a DSLR for video. A couple weeks ago I was at Talladega superspeedway with my D7100 and my Panasonic HDC-TM900. The Panny's video shot on the same day as my D7100 makes the D7100 video look 10 years old. I experimented with some settings in order to close the huge gap, but none helped. The Panny's video is just that good. It should be it's a video camera. Now of course the roles reverse when the Panny tries to take a still image. The Panny's still image downright sucks when compared to the D7100. The argument that you need a large camera bag or two camera bags for a video camera and a DSLR doesn't wash anymore. My Panny fits in the palm of my hand as well as fits nicely in the same camera bag as my D7100.

Check out this video I shot with the Panny. It's a Ferrari 458 Italia accelerating through 100 mph while on a S curve. Being perpendicular I'm panning equivalent to jerking the camera sideways and the video remains awesome. The video is true 1080p @60 fps. You need a good monitor as well as video card to do it justice!
http://www.davidjohnsonpage.com/458Italia.mp4

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

... I would not buy a DSLR for video. It's ok in a pinch, but a good video camera will still trump a DSLR for video.
I totally concur; this is all spot-on in my opinion.

Now, is the D7100 a better DSLR than the D5100? Having sold a D5100 about a week ago, and having had that week to play with a D7100, I can tell you without hesitation there is a *world* of difference between the two. The D7100 has more options, better image quality, better handling, better everything as far as I can tell.

frtorres87

I have both the D5100 and the D7100. The D5100 is a heck of a camera, but the D7100 is a much bigger beast. Just about everything is better on the D7100. I would highly recommend the D7100 because i feel like its a camera that will grown with you.