Need a lens for Nikon 1 J1 to take pictures of the moon

kuzkam

I am looking for a gift for someone who already has a Nikon 1 J1 (I believe this is the first model in the Nikon 1 series? Please let me know if I'm right). They really like to take pictures of the moon and while DSLRs are the better option they really want to keep using their J1 so I would like to get them a lens that is powerful enough for that. They have a kit containing a couple of lenses already but none are strong enough for it. I was told that I would need an adapter for the lens as well. Could you please recommend an adapter as well as a couple of lenses that would be good for this? Thank you in advance! :)

Horoscope Fish

Well, understand this isn't going to be cheap... The Nikon J1 Adapter is almost $300. Then you'll need to add the cost of a lens. The J1 has a series of zooms, but the maximum focal length is 110mm and that's not much. The converter, above, will let you use Nikon F-Mount lenses and that opens up a lot of choices for you. F-mount lenses, attached to the J1, have a crop factor of 2.7x so a lens with a focal length of, say, 100mm will actually work like a lens of 270mm. That being the case you could attach the Nikon 55-200mm f4-5.6G ED AF-S, which is going for $150 on Amazon right now, and have an effective focal length of 148-540mm.

Last edited: