"New" D700 arrived!!!

Whiskeyman

My "new" D700 arrived Wednesday, and of course I wasn't around to open it up and had to wait until last night (Thursday) to even open the shipping container.

It looks nearly new, with no apparent wear and no "dirt" from human handling. My first impressions were and still are that this is a very good camera.

I put a 50 1.8 Nikkor on it to try it out. It focuses and shoots like it should, except the first images seema bit overexposed. I'll get out a gray card and test for exposure in a bit. Other than that, the images look fantastic! Great detail.

I've begun to read the Quick Start Guide and the book Mastering the Nikon D700 and have quite a bit of reading to finish so that I can be familiar enough with the camera to try it out tomorrow when my Son's pipe band performs. I can't wait to really get started with it.

My only concern so far was that it doesn't have a Nikon USA sticker anywhere on the camera that I can find, but the box matches the camera's serial number and the box has the (U) designation on it, so I believe that it is a US model. My next step is to download software to check the record of shutter actuations, or to figure out how to do so with the software that I already have.

Does anyone have any advice to lend as to what I should look for to check this camera out? I look forward to any advice. (Other than if someone recommends that I immediately send the camera to them for a thorough evaluation!!!;))

Ruidoso Bill

I am on the hunt for one now, once I switched to FX I decided to retire my D300 and replace it with a D700. A close friend has one and has never used it, in fact the shutter count is from my use and I doubt it's more than a few hundred and is talking about getting a new camera.

Eye-level

Banned
Yes....Buttttttt....

Hey I said if everything was sound! :)

I saw an ad for the D600 in a Popular Science mag or something that my kid has ....it is cool but I must admit I really like those old D700 "I am a Purist" ads...especially since all of my lenses are like 30 years old... :)

Whiskeyman

I wish you luck in your search, Bill. I took a chance and bought it from a private seller,... I hope I don't end up sorry about it.

But why buy one? Maybe your close friend will loan you his! ;)

But already I'm looking at new lenses! :rolleyes:

Epoc

Nice pick up whiskeyman. You will grow to seriously love this camera. I am having a love affair with mine ;) Lenses, now the real money gets spent!! I've found it is an endless journey, but one I ache for :)

Whiskeyman

Have fun, it's a great camera!

Thank you, Pearldrop. My very busy recent schedule has kept me from doing much with it, but I'm slowly learning a few of its features and capabilities.
I'm looking forward to really utilizing it.
Do you have a favorite lens for yours?
WM

Nikkon

My favorite lens.. good question.. depends. I find the 50mm 1.8G very good and sharp but I also like the 135 2.0 a lot. But I shot some lightrails with a very old dinky 28-80 3.5-5.6D and to me it looks very nice. Especially the sunstars.

lighttrails.jpg

Exposure24 sec
ApertureF13
Focal Length28mm

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
My favorite lens.. good question.. depends. I find the 50mm 1.8G very good and sharp but I also like the 135 2.0 a lot. But I shot some lightrails with a very old dinky 28-80 3.5-5.6D and to me it looks very nice. Especially the sunstars.

I have that lens except it's the 3.3-5.6 and was amazed at what I got for 50$ when I first got my 700 as this was my first FX lens. I've bought many more since then thanks to NAS.

Whiskeyman

I have that lens except it's the 3.3-5.6 and was amazed at what I got for 50$ when I first got my 700 as this was my first FX lens. I've bought many more since then thanks to NAS.

3.3-5.6? I don't remember ever seeing one of those. And $50 for any Nikkor lens in working order is something to explore.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
3.3-5.6? I don't remember ever seeing one of those. And $50 for any Nikkor lens in working order is something to explore.

With only 10 grams more than my 50mm 1.8D that weights 190 grams, this 28-80 is almost 2 full pounds lighter than the 24-70 2.8. So it's really nice for a walk or cycling.

Here it is in it's full splendour:

28-80 - copie.jpg