First real attempt at Portraits

Jtedlin

So while talking to people directly makes me uncomfortable, I have learned trying to direct someone (Even my best friend) is really hard to do. Needless to say it was a fun learning experience, I know there are a few things I would change, but that's what learning is for. Let me know what you think of these.

Loren.jpg

Loren2-2.jpg

Loren3.jpg

Loren4.jpg
She wanted some photos with my car. This was the only one that turned out.

Last edited by a moderator:

fotojack

Nice first attempt at portraits. First, let me say your friend is drop dead gorgeous! :) You can tell her so for me, too! lol :)

Just two of the shots I would change.....just a little. A little cropping was in order, so I'll show you what I did.

Loren.jpg

Loren4.jpg

The top shot, I cropped out the top right hand corner. It looked too washed out and distracted from the main subject. Then I sharpened it up just a tad.
The bottom shot, again....just a slight crop to focus the main subject, and again a little sharpening. Can you see the difference? :)

Jtedlin

Nice first attempt at portraits. First, let me say your friend is drop dead gorgeous! :) You can tell her so for me, too! lol :)

Just two of the shots I would change.....just a little. A little cropping was in order, so I'll show you what I did.

View attachment 37245

View attachment 37246

The top shot, I cropped out the top right hand corner. It looked too washed out and distracted from the main subject. Then I sharpened it up just a tad.
The bottom shot, again....just a slight crop to focus the main subject, and again a little sharpening. Can you see the difference? :)

She will be thrilled to hear that! And That does look a lot better! I see what you mean in the first one by how it draws attention away. I really appreciate it!

Dave_W

The Dude
Very nice! My favorite is the 2nd image, great perspective and lines. I would consider playing around with that pose by having her look at the camera as well as away and play with other variables like feet, angle of her arms, etc.

All in all, I think you're off to a great start!

ktan7

My advise, keep your portraits simple. Don't need to do all the fancy angle jazz. You haven't shown one with that is looking directly at the camera.