buying new D600

Dave_W

The Dude
Be aware that the D600 seems to still have issues with dust/oil. I've yet to hear anyone buying a new copy that did not have this issue to one degree or another. Why not buy another D800? It's only $700 more?

Scott Murray

The cost for a D800 here is $3400 if I want it before my next trip. I can get the D600 for $2100. I can live with the dust and oil as I can clean the sensor myself. I also like the idea of having twin sd card slots. I have done a lot of thinking regarding a second camera and I think this is my best option. It will most likely be purely a back up once my D800 is repaired.

bobonit

You just met one :) I have only had some dust which I have been able to blow off with my rocket blaster. I attribute that to lens changes. I'm always switching between my two lenses.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Did you have problems with your D800 while out there in Africa? Show us some pics!!! Show us some pics!!!

Scott Murray

yeah my D800 got drowned after we had a torrential down pour in Arusha. my tent flooded which contained my camera unfortunately my water proof bag was locked in the truck and I could not get to it. but hey that's why we have insurance. it is kind of working but doesn't pick up f-stop. Which is good considering it had water in the top LCD. Luckily I did manage to get some awesome photos (I think) before this happened.

Dave_W

The Dude
That sucks! At least you were able to get some shots off before it took a swim. Water and cameras just don't go together very well. And on that note, remember a few months ago a poster who swore that you could dunk a Nikon camera completely in water and then place that water/camera in a freezer and once frozen let the ice cube melt and the camera would be just fine? Who was that guy?

Dave_W

The Dude
Is $3450 good for a D800E

That's about the same as it is here in the states, maybe a tiny bit more. Accounting for the exchange rate I'd guess it's exactly the same. Sadly Nikon's reduced pricing knocked $200 off the 800 but didn't apply to the 800E, which is still full price.

Scott Murray

I have just been going through some of my photos. I think I have just over 100
Ready to upload. Will need to use my new Sony phone though so will see how that goes.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

WhiteLight

Wow.. so you telling me that 1 month in Africa & your D800 drowned after 100 photos????
What did you do for the rest of the time? i would've enjoyed every second of the holiday in tears!

Scott Murray

Wow.. so you telling me that 1 month in Africa & your D800 drowned after 100 photos????
What did you do for the rest of the time? i would've enjoyed every second of the holiday in tears!
No I had taken more than 100 but yes after only 14 days into the trip it died. I bought a point and shoot in Dar es salaam. And I managed to get some decent pics with it. Nothing compared to my D800 but some never the less. It also allowed me time to sit back and enjoy Africa and also allow me to do some sketches.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

BackdoorArts

Man, that's a heartbreak. I know how much you were looking forward to shooting on the trip. At least you got some of it. And speaking from experience, I think the D600 is a fine companion to the D800, not just a "backup".