Firmwear

jcottone45

I was going thru the nikon site when I saw that there was an update to the D300s firmwear as of Jan 2010, since I bought my D300s back in Sept 2009 I was wondering if I really need this up date??
Can anyone explain exactly what it is???
As I am an old film guy & am new to digital photography, so I need all the help I can get.

Thanks
Joe

Ruidoso Bill

Got this off google:

Modifications enabled with this firmware upgrade, release date January 6, 2010
  • NOTE: This update is for the D300S model only, and not the D300. Do not attempt to upgrade the D300 with this firmware.
  • Support for 64 GB memory cards has been added.
  • When the Multi-Power Battery Pack MB-D10 was used with AA batteries, the battery indicator showed that MB-D10 batteries were exhausted or power supply switched to the battery inserted in the camera even when sufficient charge remained with the MB-D10 batteries. This issue has been resolved.
  • When some memory cards were inserted in the camera, “CHA” was displayed in the top control panel and images could not be captured. This issue has been resolved.

jcottone45

Thanks for the reply Bill, I did see this at the nikon site, and I understood what they said about the mbd10 (which I don't have)& cha display(thank God I never had that happen), but am curious about the 64 gb memory?
That should have been my question, if the update is for 64gb whats in there now & do I really need the increase???
It maybe a dumb question, but I am new to digital photography & love it.!!! Just don't understand a lot about it.!!
I thought the CF & sandisk cards were the memory cards that had to be inserted were the only memory the camera has??
Obviously there's more memory than I thought, so I am confused.
It doesn't a lot to confuse me with digital.

Joe

Carolina Photo Guy

You misunderstood. The D300s does not have 64 Gigs of onboard memory. After the update, you will be able to USE a 64 Gig memory card.

Hope this helps clear it up for you.

Pete

jcottone45

Thanks Pete for explaining that for me, I don't think I ever saw any cards with that much memory here on LI or NYC for that matter either.
Then I think I will do the update.
Thanks again Pete