D300 or d7000

MarcelM

Hello everyone. I thought this may be a good place to start. I've just sold my d3100, looking for a new body. Of course you want to know what kind of use it will see? Well, in my particular case this will end up being my back up body until I can afford a pro level camera (down the road) for weddings/engagements shoots/family sessions and the like. I was set on getting a d300. 51 Af sensors, 15 cross type sensors, sounded good. But then the d7100 came out and now the d7000 is a little more affordable used. It has less Af sensors and cross hair type, but more megapixels and ISO ability. This is where I'm thinking it would be better for weddings. I have the money for the d300, I'd have to save for a little bit and put the d7000 off until I can afford it. What would you do? Go for the d300 knowing it will be fine for a few years then a great back up body? Or hold out for the d7000, basically, d300 isn't the right choice? I need your opinions. Thanks!

gqtuazon

Gear Head
These are all good cameras. D300 uses CF card and that will mean that you will need to buy CF cards. Older sensor means that the D7000/D7100 has better performance at higher ISO.

Between the D7000 and D7100, I would go with the D7100 which has slight improved performance, has dual SD cards, and all of the latest bells and whistles. All of those 39 pt AF vs 51 AF points means less to me since I prefer using Single AF point but that is just me.

MarcelM

I may not be able to swing the d7100. But its helping the used cost and influx in used d7000's on the market right now. so ill probably try and go for one of the d7000's. still would like some more opinions.

I thought of that, I always use single point as well. At least there will be more cross hair type sensors compared to my old d3100 which only had 1!

gqtuazon

Gear Head

fotojack

I had to chime in here, as most of the regulars here know that I absolutely LUST after the D300! It's built like a tank, weather proofed, takes awesome pictures, proven workhorse of a camera, pro level, has enough "bells and whistles" to do what the camera is supposed to do (take great pictures with the right lenses), and if I had the money, I would JUMP at getting one! I don't need video, I couldn't care less about the super high ISO numbers on the newer cameras (seriously....how often do you take pictures that require really high ISO ?), and if you come across a great deal on a D300, I would seriously grab it! But hey....that's just me! :)

Some day I will win the lottery and the first D300 I come across that has a low shutter count below 5,000.........I'm grabbin' it!

pedroj

I had to chime in here, as most of the regulars here know that I absolutely LUST after the D300! It's built like a tank, weather proofed, takes awesome pictures, proven workhorse of a camera, pro level, has enough "bells and whistles" to do what the camera is supposed to do (take great pictures with the right lenses), and if I had the money, I would JUMP at getting one! I don't need video, I couldn't care less about the super high ISO numbers on the newer cameras (seriously....how often do you take pictures that require really high ISO ?), and if you come across a great deal on a D300, I would seriously grab it! But hey....that's just me! :)

Some day I will win the lottery and the first D300 I come across that has a low shutter count below 5,000.........I'm grabbin' it!

I use mine regularly it has less then 40000 [capable of 150000] on it and does all i need....

Geoffc

Been using my 300s again recently. When I don't need 36mp from the 800, the D300 is more convenient.

In our house we have a 300 that my wife loves and my 300s. I suspect I will think of these affectionately forever.

fotojack

So for weddings, indoor reception at night, or low lit churches? D300 should perform as we'll as d7000?

Absolutely!

May I also suggest you get yourself an SB700 flash to go with your camera for indoor shots. Then you will have a killer combination.

You didn't mention what lenses you have. May I suggest (if you don't already have them) a 35mm, a 50mm, an 85mm prime lenses....all at f/1.8

MarcelM

Absolutely!

May I also suggest you get yourself an SB700 flash to go with your camera for indoor shots. Then you will have a killer combination.

You didn't mention what lenses you have. May I suggest (if you don't already have them) a 35mm, a 50mm, an 85mm prime lenses....all at f/1.8

Awesome! I have a 35 1.8, next is the 50. The 85 would be nice too but I'm thinking of getting a 24-70 2.8. If I get the d300 that should leave some left over for an 85mm.

mrbeal

OK, my turn...
I have had a D7000 and have a D300 now. I sold the D7k because it was just too much camera for me. I really couldn't use it to its potential - the features it has just are beyond my capability. That being said, the D300 is such a GREAT camera. I don't feel intimidated by it at all and at 12MP it's plenty good! It has lots of great features but not so many that I get confused about what feature does what and what combination works best for this or that. The D300 just works... the D7000 needs to be fiddled with too much to work to its fullest potential.

Last edited:

Bukitimah

It is quite true. Although there are plenty of buttons and the whole lot of features in the menu, I don't read most or even tried them. I spend most of my time with my D300 shooting using the basic setting.

I probably have missed out quite a lot but even if you read them and don't use them frequently, you will forget how to use them. Once upon a time, camera is less electronics

MarcelM

I did it, got the d300! Found one with a little less then 6k shutters in great condition! Just got it today and I'm still at work so I haven't even been able to throw any glass on it yet. Can't wait!

pedroj

I did it, got the d300! Found one with a little less then 6k shutters in great condition! Just got it today and I'm still at work so I haven't even been able to throw any glass on it yet. Can't wait!

All's good...Have fun, It will last for years...

JudeIscariot

Good point. However, for the D300, a 8mb CF will be plenty for that camera which doesn't cost that much.

D7000 is still a stellar camera and offers good value IMO.
D300 RAW images can get up to 20mb in size. I have found that, in the past with my D3000, at 8-12mb on average, 8GB was just enough in situations where I had to shoot a lot of shots. I haven't taken my D300 to anything like that yet, but it seems like 8GB might not be enough.

JudeIscariot

Awesome! I have a 35 1.8, next is the 50. The 85 would be nice too but I'm thinking of getting a 24-70 2.8. If I get the d300 that should leave some left over for an 85mm.
The 35 is a great lens, and it shoots very nicely on a D300.

And as fotojack said, get the SB700 and you'll never have to second-guess yourself. It's a workhorse of a flash... I've never had it overheat, even in extremely hot music venues.

MarcelM

SB-700 would be great. I was thinking of possibly doing the YN-565ex to save money...but not sure yet.

I'm loving this camera so far though. I threw the 50mm 1.8 on and took some really nice photos with it.

Last edited: