Lens question

riverside

This is for a D7000 application so I thought why not ask D7000 users and save myself some browsing time.

Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G

Are there any aftermarket lenses that compare to it with regard to quality and price?

Dave_W

The Dude
Re: Lense question

I don't think you'll ever find a better value than the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G, it's tack sharp and dirt cheap.

Geoffc

I had the 35mm on my D300s and the 50mm on my D800. They are both sharp fast and cheap. The only reason not to get the 35mm is if you are planning to go FX in the near future, but at the price point even that probably isn't a consideration.

kirbfucius

I hope you like it! It was my first purchased lens and it stays on my camera 90% of the time. If you're interested, another great piece of glass for the money is the 50mm 1.8D for about $100. Exact pricing will vary; I bought mine for $75 used.

It is one you can bring with you to the land of full frames later, but it is a little long on our cropped sensors. Personally, I prefer the 35 since I usually find it easier to get closer than to get further away, but it's still a great lens. Since your D7000 will autofocus with it, the 50D has a much nicer price-quality ratio than the newer, plastic AF-S 50G which rings in at $220 retail.

RON_RIP

I paid $100 extra to get the Tokina 35mm just to get a lens made in Japan. But that is just me, I'm a little bit picky about where my purchases come from.

RON_RIP

Yes, the Tokina is a 2.8 macro lens and I am very pleased with it. It is not as fast as the Nikon but in an outdoor environment it is fast enough. The price through Adorama was $299. But Tokina has discontinued the lens and I can't imagine why.