Lightning Shots...

Whiskeyman

We're just now getting into our lightning season here in the Florida panhandle. I'm going to try some soon if I have the opportunity.

What is your planned technique for when you resume the practice?

Samsonite

I use 10 - 20 second exposures, focused at infinity, F5.6 - F10 and ISO 100. Like I mentioned, we only really get thunderstorms in September here, so ill have to wait till then to try again unfortunately...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!

Samsonite

Thanks :) Was my first ever attempt at Lightning, and I did get lucky as this wasnt on a tripod, it was on my roof with my camera sat on my water tank propped up against a packet of cigarettes!

I am interesten in taking lightning shots but am worried about getting my D90 soaked. We had a terrific thunderstorm here tonight and I tried taking some photos from under the cover of the front porch without any success. The canopy I was under extended too far out and blocked most of the good lightning bolts.

Whiskeyman

There should be plenty of distant storms over your way. Look for those, as they tend to be easier to get the bulk of the storm in the viewfinder.

Plus, in addition to keeping your gear dry, it may keep it from an encounter with a lightning strike. You, too. Which is really important.

Samsonite

Samsonite

Thanks! Unfortunately if I had made more of an effort I would have probably got some better shots! Thunder storm hit us at about 3:00 AM, didnt really this until I woke up (Nature called) at about 3:15, whilst going about my business I saw distant flashes and though ohhhh good opportunity! Went back to the tent to wake up my missus and tell her I wanted to get some shots, she said im crazy and that I should get some sleep, tried to get back to sleep, but just kept thinking im missing out on a great opportunity, after 45 minutes of debating with myself, I just grabbed my camera bag, and drove to a nearby open field, had I been there earlier I could have got more shots probably, as by the time i got there, there were only about 10 flashes before it all ended....