Focusing Screen?

Nichole

I haven't had my camera very long- Valentine's Day. Hubby also got me the 50mm 1.8d. Since I wasn't expecting that, I wasn't able to do my normal research. Therefore, he just bought a 50mm prime not realizing it wouldn't autofocus on many d5100. I wasn't able to upgrade to the 1.8g... not in the budget after purchasing the camera too...
Was reading another post on here about focusing screens...

My obviously newbie questions are: if this is my only manual lens should I invest in a focusing screen? Are all focusing screens created equal? How does that effect when I'm using my af lenses?

I am up for the challenge of learning the lens, but any info you can pass along is appreciated!

BackdoorArts

Marcel has a post somewhere on here about focusing screens, maybe he'll be able to point to it (I can find it). If you've used a film camera and have a favorite there may be one that matches that. A lot depends on what you want or what you're used to.

Nichole

@BackdoorHippie,

Thanks for the reply. I did find that thread. It was the one that got me thinking, but I guess for now, I'll just try to conquor the green dot!! I've never used a focusing screen, so I'd have to learn that...Mastering a cocept either way...LOL...Plus, I figured out why I was having so much trouble... I forgot to switch it to MF to even make the green dot appear...told ya I was a newbie...LOL

Thanks again!