Lakeside Cemetery, and President Garfield's Tomb

TedG954

James Garfield, from Ohio, was a President for 200 days, and then he was assassinated. Yep. Another Ohio born President that was killed on-the-job. Garfield was a pretty interesting figure, and if he was running for President today, I'd definitely vote for him.

Garfield's Tomb is located on the east side of Cleveland, near the world famous Cleveland Clinic complex (so big, it has its own zip code). Besides Garfield, Lakeside Cemetery has the remains of many famous people throughout history. I'm going to start with Garfield's Tomb, and I'll end up with the graves of the wealthiest man in history, and a very famous crime fighter. Enjoy.

View attachment 36974

View attachment 36975

View attachment 36972

View attachment 36973

Last edited:

Rick M

Very interesting and excellent shots Ted! After seeing the first two posts, I said to myself "I wonder what the inside looks like?". Thanks for answering my question without asking! Great to see things like this I never would have thought of or visited. Thanks!

TedG954

Very interesting and excellent shots Ted! After seeing the first two posts, I said to myself "I wonder what the inside looks like?". Thanks for answering my question without asking! Great to see things like this I never would have thought of or visited. Thanks!

It's the first time I have been there. The architecture is superb. Garfield was a tough guy that would have probably changed history if he hadn't been killed. Check him out: James A. Garfield - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

TedG954

While the Garfield Tomb is the big attraction at Lakeside Cemetery, the 269 acres of land display some of the finest sculpture work ever to be seen. The cemetery was founded in 1869 and its inhabitants come from rich and poor alike... but.... The rich seem to dominate the scenery with headstones that rival some of the finest museum sculptures in the world. Many Italian immigrants lived in the area of the cemetery and many of them were master stone cutters. Their workmanship is very rarely seen today. Thanks to the quality of their efforts, this cemetery is a work of art.

The general view of the cemetery.

View attachment 37062

A stop at the Chapel is a real treat for art lovers. The Chapel displays a genuine Tiffany glass window. Priceless.

View attachment 37063

View attachment 37064

View attachment 37065

TedG954

I saw plain wooden crosses and small plot markers, but they're all overshadowed by these majestic displays of wealth.

View attachment 37066

View attachment 37067

View attachment 37068

View attachment 37069

Besides a President, there are many other political figures buries on the grounds, including senators, congressmen, and 22 past Cleveland mayors. There are also many giants of industry and commerce buried here. For Clevelanders, their names are all well known.

TedG954

There are many burial vaults of various sizes. Some of them are the oldest structures on the grounds.

While this is typical of the vaults....

View attachment 37070

This one is larger than many condos on the Florida coast. I wonder if there's a kitchen and bathroom.... just in case.

View attachment 37071

Another interesting point about this huge crypt is that I couldn't find a name. All that opulence and no one to mourn.

TedG954

And last, but certainly a billion miles from least..... the wealthiest man to ever walk the earth. John D. Rockefeller was a native of Cleveland. His oil fields originated just east of where he is buried.View attachment 37079

The lesser Rockefellers are buried around him.

View attachment 37080

Rockefeller's obelisk is 70 feet high. In terms of today's dollars, John D. was worth in excess of 300 billion dollars. Yep. 300 billion. Bill Gates hasn't reached 70 billion. I think there's a lesson here.

View attachment 37082

No matter how much you have, billions of dollars, a D4, or a meager wage and a D40, we all end up in the same state. I guess we should use what we've been blessed with and be happy.

Last edited: