Need help - Event shoot

Zulumika

My friend Nat is a hair dresser and she's launching her new hair salon next Thursday - OCT 19, 2010. She asked me the shoot the event. I've never shot an event before. On location at the salon, lots of guests, drinks, music and probably not enough light, etc. I'm not too sure what I'm getting myself into.

I need your advice on what to shoot, what kind of pose, what to aim for and what NOT to do.

I will bring my d90 and my sb-600. That's all I have basically, I do not have a kit like a strobes, softboxes, etc... I do have a tripod...

Suffice to say I will spend the week-end searching google for examples of such events but, anything you can tell me, advices, suggestions, examples of similar events with links, anything really is very appreciated, I take everything!

Thanks in advance.

Joseph Bautsch

I would ask Nat what kind of photos she wants. That's most important, satisfy the customer. This sounds like an reception type of event, (party). They are usually informal. She will probably want shots of herself with the people instrumental in setting up and launching the hair salon. Other shots might be of friends, relatives in small groups or individuals. Does not sound like something you will need a tripod or softboxes or anything like that. The SB600 will probably do the trick.

Browncoat

I would ask Nat what kind of photos she wants. That's most important, satisfy the customer.

QFE. The best advice you'll get is to ask questions and give the customer what she wants. However, you don't want to look like a total newb who doesn't know what he's doing either. I agree with Mr. Bautsch in that this sounds like a reception/party. I'll add that it's also an unveiling. Your client is going to want photos of:

• Good times. Lots of laughs, shmoozing, greeting, and shaking hands with people.
  • The salon. Get creative with angles and composition. There's tons of cool stuff in there to take photos of.
  • The ceremony. Will there be any ribbon cutting or 1st dollar spent? Cake? Be sure to get all that once-in-a-lifetime stuff.
Since she's a friend, what kind of gal is she? I'm sure the salon reflects her personality. If she's a retro/50's kinda chick, then that will show in the decor of her salon and it should also show in your post-editing. Use lomo or washed-out effects, she'll love it! If she's very contemporary, then you'll know what to do there as well.

Good luck!

My take on things:

1. Get ready to shoot a lot of candid shots.
2. Mirrors (off-angle) are your bestest friends - USE THEM!!
mirror.jpg

3. Use/buy/find a diffuser (Gary Fong works pretty well) and point the flash unit up towards the ceiling - nothing like having red-eye in all your images, and nothing like over-exposing people, and completely under-exposing the background.
4. Don't be afraid to bump into ISO 800 to get the shots - it isn't the end of the world to go that high.

Experiment, shoot, learn.

Just my .02

jengajoh

I agree about the Gary Fong diffuser, it's nice. Also don't forget extra flash batteries. If you can, get an external battery pack.

FoxRacer2

Is the gary fong diffuser used for just indoors? Or all around shooting.

I saw a few people at a recent car show that was indoors had these on there camera, they look nice!