Help me understand flash features

J-Dub

I have an SB-700 and I'd like to add another flash or two to my setup. But instead of spending the money on another SB700 or SB900 I thought about getting something like the Yongnuo YN-560EX. But I don't understand everything about this flash.

It seems it can be triggered by the Nikon CLS, is that correct? And is that what iTTL is? If not, what is iTTL in regard to flash?

Is there a cheaper version of this flash that will trigger by CLS?

Regarding flash in general...
What is a manual flash? If I use a manual flash do I need to have a light meter? If I use iTTL I don't necessarily need a light meter correct?

I feel my questions are all over the place because I don't understand the terminology. Could someone help? :)

Thanks!
JW

Krs_2007

Not sure I exactly explain to you, but what I have been doing is watching YouTube videos on the SB-700, very helpful. I am sure someone will be able to answer you question.

Horoscope Fish

I can tell you that CLS is not iTTL. These are two different things.

CLS is Nikon's "Creative Lighting System" and manages slave units, flashes not mounted to your camera.

iTTL is Nikon's "Intelligent Through The Lens" metering system.

Googling those two things would probably get you off to a good start on figuring all this stuff out.

WayneF

It seems it can be triggered by the Nikon CLS, is that correct? And is that what iTTL is? If not, what is iTTL in regard to flash?

Is there a cheaper version of this flash that will trigger by CLS?

Regarding flash in general...
What is a manual flash? If I use a manual flash do I need to have a light meter? If I use iTTL I don't necessarily need a light meter correct?

I feel my questions are all over the place because I don't understand the terminology. Could someone help? :)

It is a big subject to be learned. Go slow, make sure you understand.

CLS is not really a meaningful term. It must be CLS, but CLS just means the name of the current Nikon flash system. CLS is technically the communication system between the Nikon camera and flash, which supports many features. One CLS feature is iTTL, one is Commander, etc, etc (there are more), but CLS does not specify any one specific feature.

Some inexpensive other-brand flashes only do Manual flash mode. This means you manually set the flashes power level to produce the exposure you want. You could use a hand held flash meter to measure it, and set it to do what you want. Or it is common (for only one flash) to set it by trial and error experiment, increase the power if you want it brighter, etc.

Some inexpensive other-brand flashes only of iTTL flash. These should specifically say "for Nikon iTTL" to provide automatic flash with current Nikon digital camera models. Anything else will not work with the Nikon system.

Some other-brand flashes (for a few more dollars) will have a menu to do either Manual flash mode or iTTL flash mode, whichever you want to use.

And a few will work with the Nikon Commander (more the top end models). Quite a few people say "trigger by CLS", when they mean "trigger by Commander". Commander is just one CLS feature, which is properly named AWL (Advanced Wireless Lighting). All the current flashes "for Nikon" are CLS, but not many other-brand models can work with the Commander. The top few Nikon cameras include a Commander, but the bottom end does not. Commander is basically a wireless remote triggering system for a couple of CLS flashes which do happen to work with the commander (these will mention four channels and maybe three groups).

If interested in using the Commander in some camera models, then the SB_700 and SB-910 can do it (anything the camera model can do). The SB-400 is iTTL, but it cannot work with the commander. See Using the Nikon CLS Remote Wireless Flash System about Commander.

I am not familiar with the Yongnuo flash, but their web site
http://www.hkyongnuo.com/e-detail.php?ID=301
specs says this model does AWL. Your camera model will need to have a Commander.

Last edited:

J-Dub

It is a big subject to be learned. Go slow, make sure you understand.

CLS is not really a meaningful term. It must be CLS, but CLS just means the name of the current Nikon flash system. CLS is technically the communication system between the Nikon camera and flash, which supports many features. One CLS feature is iTTL, one is Commander, etc, etc (there are more), but CLS does not specify any one specific feature.

Some inexpensive other-brand flashes only do Manual flash mode. This means you manually set the flashes power level to produce the exposure you want. You could use a hand held flash meter to measure it, and set it to do what you want. Or it is common (for only one flash) to set it by trial and error experiment, increase the power if you want it brighter, etc.

Some inexpensive other-brand flashes only of iTTL flash. These should specifically say "for Nikon iTTL" to provide automatic flash with current Nikon digital camera models. Anything else will not work with the Nikon system.

Some other-brand flashes (for a few more dollars) will have a menu to do either Manual flash mode or iTTL flash mode, whichever you want to use.

And a few will work with the Nikon Commander (more the top end models). Quite a few people say "trigger by CLS", when they mean "trigger by Commander". Commander is just one CLS feature, which is properly named AWL (Advanced Wireless Lighting). All the current flashes "for Nikon" are CLS, but not many other-brand models can work with the Commander. The top few Nikon cameras include a Commander, but the bottom end does not. Commander is basically a wireless remote triggering system for a couple of CLS flashes which do happen to work with the commander (these will mention four channels and maybe three groups).

If interested in using the Commander in some camera models, then the SB_700 and SB-910 can do it (anything the camera model can do). The SB-400 is iTTL, but it cannot work with the commander. See Using the Nikon CLS Remote Wireless Flash System about Commander.

I am not familiar with the Yongnuo flash, but their web site
YONGNUO, photographic equipment, camera accessories, flash light, camera remote control, speedlite, photo equipment, LED photo light, flash trigger, camera wireless remote control, TTL cord
specs says this model does AWL. Your camera model will need to have a Commander.
Thank you for this very informative post.

Your very last sentence says, "Your camera model will need to have a Commander."

I have a D7000, and the on camera flash can be set as commander, correct?

I've set it to fire my sb-700 off-camera, I just want to make sure I have this terminology down so I understand.

​Thank you very much again. I really appreciate you explaining that.

WayneF

I have a D7000, and the on camera flash can be set as commander, correct?

I've set it to fire my sb-700 off-camera, I just want to make sure I have this terminology down so I understand.

Yes, sure, the D7000 has the commander so you're in business (just not all lesser camera models have it).

And the Yongnuo YN-560EX says it does AWL, which uses the commander.

It's always good on flashes, to do Google search for the brand, model, and the word review. You will find a lot to read about it, and probably learn more about its features.

Last edited:

simonhodge

I have SB910/900 and YN560EX. I find them all fantastic and am actually about to buy another 560EX. Basically with iTTL the flash will fire in relation to the camera, i.e. automatically. You can still adjust the output of the flash to certain extent but its the most simple way to use it. To get creative with speedlights you will want to go manual. The 900 will do iTTL and manual, infact pretty much anything you can with a speedlight, hence the price. The 560 will not do iTTL when fitted to the hot shoe. CLS is the nikon wireless system where you use a commander (pop-up flash on certain models, Sb900 etc or SU-800) to control off-camera speedlights. When in CLS mode the 560EX will now use iTTL and therefore give you automatic lighting. Nikon have high speed sync between most bodies and most Nikon speedlights. The 560 does not offer high speed sync.

I know I have repeated earlier posts but I hope it makes things clear. :)

J-Dub

I have SB910/900 and YN560EX. I find them all fantastic and am actually about to buy another 560EX. Basically with iTTL the flash will fire in relation to the camera, i.e. automatically. You can still adjust the output of the flash to certain extent but its the most simple way to use it. To get creative with speedlights you will want to go manual. The 900 will do iTTL and manual, infact pretty much anything you can with a speedlight, hence the price. The 560 will not do iTTL when fitted to the hot shoe. CLS is the nikon wireless system where you use a commander (pop-up flash on certain models, Sb900 etc or SU-800) to control off-camera speedlights. When in CLS mode the 560EX will now use iTTL and therefore give you automatic lighting. Nikon have high speed sync between most bodies and most Nikon speedlights. The 560 does not offer high speed sync.

I know I have repeated earlier posts but I hope it makes things clear. :)
Excellent information. Thank you.

What does high speed sync accomplish? If I want to use 2 560ex as 2nd and 3rd lights in a studio setup will not having high speed synch hinder that? Or should I get a couple of sb600s or 700s?

WayneF

Excellent information. Thank you.

What does high speed sync accomplish? If I want to use 2 560ex as 2nd and 3rd lights in a studio setup will not having high speed synch hinder that? Or should I get a couple of sb600s or 700s?

No, lack of HSS will NOT hinder anything in the studio. HSS would more likely hinder normal studio operation. HSS is mainly useful when you just gotta use f/2.8 in bright sun wit flash (but it limits the flash power and distance range). See Four Flash Photography Basics we must know - Auto FP and HSS

In a studio situation, you are probably trying to limit effect of the orange incandescent ambient. You do use shutter speed near maximum sync speed to accomplish that. Lets say f/8 at 1/200 second, at low ISO, just for example. You use enough flash you can do this, but if you take the studio shot with all flashes turned off, you get a black frame, proving successful elimination of the ambient light. Then, in that setting, the speedlight (called a speedlight) is very fast, much faster than any shutter speed (the shutter speed is seeing the black ambient), so no more speed is necessary. Extremely ample.