Need help choosing

snaphappy

For my photography course I have an assignment on "presentation" so presenting an image in a pleasing way showing some of the things we've learned. Since I don't have photoshop I'll be using the kids construction paper for keystroke :) I have these in 5x7 but can't decide which to present
nik_0670.jpg

nik_1042.jpg

dsc06038.jpg

dsc05283_531836.jpg

dsc00880.jpg

dsc01726.jpg

dsc_0632.jpg

This is hubbys choice (funny since he teased me about taking pics of an outhouse hehe ) and I would keystroke in red I think

Go ahead be brutal I can take it

For my photography course I have an assignment on "presentation" so presenting an image in a pleasing way showing some of the things we've learned. Since I don't have photoshop I'll be using the kids construction paper for keystroke :) I have these in 5x7 but can't decide which to present

dsc06038.jpg

dsc05283_531836.jpg

dsc_0632.jpg

This is hubbys choice (funny since he teased me about taking pics of an outhouse hehe ) and I would keystroke in red I think

Go ahead be brutal I can take it

These three in revers order. Outhouse #1, dog in Snow #2 and dog #3

Horoscope Fish

The B&W tree shot and the outhouse pic are your two most powerful shots. The others are "cute" but most of them have a snapshot-esque quality to them. Not that there's anything wrong with that but if you're taking a class I'm assuming it's because you want to elevate your game. Anyone can take a cute snap of a cute puppy doing something cute. "Awwww..." factor is high there, but what about "Wow!" factor? That's a little more difficult.

IMO, the tree-shot could use a little more contrast. It has a simple, straightforward subject, has good balance and a very strong leading line. I think this is what people are responding to. I like to see strong blacks and stark whites in a B&W photo, not a mish mash of grey tones which, to me, just looks blasé. The power of B&W is often fueled by strong contrast and simple subjects.

The outhouse shot has a quirkiness to it and has a nice "BAM" of bright color in an otherwise subdued setting that pulls us in and keeps us focused. The off center composition sets up a nice little dynamic, the background is well balanced and gives the shot relevance without barging in on the subject. You've also managed to get a lot of snow in that shot without blowing out your highlights. Not always an easy thing. That's a very nice shot.

Last edited:

snaphappy

Thank you everyone I appreciate your input. Having you give your opinions and reasons why really gets me looking at my own shots and gives me an idea on what needs to improve and what I did right so I can try it again.

So it seems the trees, outhouse and snowy pup are your favs. I'm a bit intimidated by figuring out a keystroke for the trees. In my hard copy it looks better actually with an almost pencil drawn textured feel to it. She showed us how to choose keystrokes and it seems very important to her that we use them but her black whites always have some paint colour in it so choosing the keystroke is obvious. I'm not sure what I'll do with it but am off to give it a try. If it doesn't work I'll go with the outhouse as it is one of my fav shots and my keystroke choice is obvious. Funny how the 2 shots I got the most teasing about wasting my time taking pics of silly things turned out to be 2 favs :) The texture of the trees, sunlight on them and the perfect row drew me to them but I found the colour version distracting so went with B&W.

Horoscope fish I had actually turned my contrast down in the above pic and although too late to get reprinted I upped the contrast and re-posted here. I only have my iphoto so can only do very limited PP so guess now will have to delve into getting and learning new software.

nik_0670_580714.jpg

​I really appreciate everyones help and opinions. I'm off to get my "images" ready for presenting :)

snaphappy

The B&W tree shot and the outhouse pic are your two most powerful shots. The others are "cute" but most of them have a snapshot-esque quality to them. Not that there's anything wrong with that but if you're taking a class I'm assuming it's because you want to elevate your game. Anyone can take a cute snap of a cute puppy doing something cute. "Awwww..." factor is high there, but what about "Wow!" factor? That's a little more difficult.

IMO, the tree-shot could use a little more contrast. It has a simple, straightforward subject, has good balance and a very strong leading line. I think this is what people are responding to. I like to see strong blacks and stark whites in a B&W photo, not a mish mash of grey tones which, to me, just looks blasé. The power of B&W is often fueled by strong contrast and simple subjects.

The outhouse shot has a quirkiness to it and has a nice "BAM" of bright color in an otherwise subdued setting that pulls us in and keeps us focused. The off center composition sets up a nice little dynamic, the background is well balanced and gives the shot relevance without barging in on the subject. You've also managed to get a lot of snow in that shot without blowing out your highlights. Not always an easy thing. That's a very nice shot.

Horoscope Fish I just wanted to tell you how very much I appreciate these comments you made. I have remembered your comments and used them since.

You were absolutely correct about upping the contrast for the black and white photo. The greyer hard copy of the trees where I'd lowered the contrast looked interesting like a pencil sketch but when I upped that contrast and got it printed it out it was far more eye catching and powerful. I've since looked at other B&W photos I've done and most are grey. So I learned simple is better for B&W and much better if actually B&W rather than grey.

By telling me what things I did right and which could be adjusted to make it better I've learned and I just really appreciated the time you took because it has really helped me. I posted this thank you on the forum so maybe someone else will read and find your words helpful as well.

The rest of you were also very helpful because as you commented and I was able to go back and look at my photos as you were seeing them and critic them better. My assignment was on proper presentation not the photo so I felt it ok to ask help in choosing an image.