Noise Reduction?

mlcinema

Hello all,

I just got my new D7100. My FIRST Nikon. :)

I am just wondering if you all use in camera noise reduction?

Thank you

Horoscope Fish

Hello all,

I just got my new D7100. My FIRST Nikon. :)

I am just wondering if you all use in camera noise reduction?

Thank you
Congrats on joining the club. I recently upgraded to a D7100 myself. The 7100 has both High ISO Noise Reduction AND Long Exposure Noise Reduction. I don't know if you're asking about one, the other or both, but I will tell you I do use the Long Exposure NR, but High ISO NR... Not so much.

Lee

I just use the LR noise reduction. What are the disadvantages of using in camera NR? I'm just curious as to whether there is a compromise doing it this way as opposed to in post processing, or whether it's just a case of getting better results cleaning up noise later

WhiteLight

Ideally, you shouldn't allow the camera to decide how much noise reduction it must make, when you can have that option.
LR's noise reduction is very good.
if you want something a notch better & maybe specific to NR, you can check out Nik's DFine, Noise Ninja & Neat Image..
all very good noise reduction programs..

leave the camera NR off

jwstl

The 2 types of Noise Reduction are 2 different things. Based on some recommendations from websites and books I've read, I keep the Long Exposure Noise Reduction on at all times while the High ISO is off at all times. I shoot only RAW and the High ISO Reduction isn't applied to RAW files. If on for RAW, the files are tagged with the HIGH ISO info which Nikon's Capture and View will read and apply. I don't use either app so it I keep it off and use a third party tool for that noise reduction.
Here's one example of a recommendation to keep Long Exposure Reduction on:
The Nikon Companion: Using Long Exposure Noise Reduction