So I shot a picture that my wife wants blown up and framed...now what?

Smoke

My wife would like to blow up and frame a pic that I took...who does this? Where do I take the picture? Sorry, I'm new....

carguy

For home images, I process them to the print size I'd like and upload them ro walgreens.com (a local store). You may have something similar near you.

Tap'n on the Galaxy S3

There are any number of places that can do this. From WalMart to Pro Labs.

I have used www.nationsphotolab.com and had good results from them. I mostly print all my own enlargements up to 13X19 just because I enjoy the process.

I have also done some at WalMart because I needed a Poster size print right then for my wife's classroom. I was very surprised at how good and cheap it was.

Depending on what the photo is a good option is the canvas print. Gives a nice feel for certain subjects.

Which camera did you shoot it with? Also keep the photo at as high a resolution as you can. Give the lab as many pixels as you can to get the best results.

I'm new also and I have never had a photo blown up. But I am curious is there a maximum size that a photo could be blown up to, or does it deepend on how many Mega Pixel's your camera has? My D90 has 12.3 mp's and the OP's D40 has 6.1mp's does that mean I can blow-up a photo 2X as big as he can? Thanks for any illuminating info you can provide.

Wiley

I'm curious of this also. My new D5200 has 24.1MP.....how big can I go?

With a very good exposure on the D5200 you can probably go 20 x 30 with good results.

Now for the big question. What setting are you using for your D5200. The 20 x 30 suggestion assume you are shooting JPEG Fine / Large. If you are using anything less then you can not print as big.

I have printed this size from a D3100 and been pretty happy. I have a canvas print from the D3100 that is one of my favorites. I now shoot with a D5100 and the quality is better with this camera. I print 13X19 at home and have them all over the house and they are fantastic.

You can get a 20X30 at Nations for $24.00 so It is hard to go wrong trying.

You will have to download their software called ROES to order prints. Most labs do this for online service.

Smoke

With a very good exposure on the D5200 you can probably go 20 x 30 with good results.

Now for the big question. What setting are you using for your D5200. The 20 x 30 suggestion assume you are shooting JPEG Fine / Large. If you are using anything less then you can not print as big.

I have printed this size from a D3100 and been pretty happy. I have a canvas print from the D3100 that is one of my favorites. I now shoot with a D5100 and the quality is better with this camera. I print 13X19 at home and have them all over the house and they are fantastic.

You can get a 20X30 at Nations for $24.00 so It is hard to go wrong trying.

You will have to download their software called ROES to order prints. Most labs do this for online service.

Read more: http://nikonites.com/feedback-sugge...s-blown-up-framed-now-what.html#ixzz2T6MaBqd7

Thanks for the info!

MrF

Smoke,

I've used mpix (Photo Printing, Photo Cards, Holiday Cards, Announcements, Photo Books : Mpix.Com) and Frame Destination (Picture Frames | Photography Frames | Mat Board | Photo Storage) for my printing and framing with great results. Mpix appears to be about $2 more than Nations for a 20x30. I like frame destination because you can customize a complete frame (or any pieces thereof) for a reasonable price. When the frame arrives, the only thing I use that's not included in the box is a screwdriver and some acid-free linen hanging tape. They'll even ship glass up to a certain size.

As far as how big you can print, look at the length of your image in pixels. For a magazine quality photo go for at least 300 pixels per inch (ppi) so divide your length by 300 and that's your maximum size in inches for that edge. It's possible to go bigger. I have a 12x18 on my wall that's printed at 160 ppi and it looks fine unless you're really looking at it from about an inch away. The image size was 2880x1920, so it was a 5.5MP photo. I don't think I'd want to go any less than that for a photo that I was hanging on my wall.

Although, I do have a 20x30 on canvas that was given to me as a gift that came from a file that was barely 1MP. The texture of the canvas actually helps really hide the true quality of the image and it looks pretty decent. I imagine if it were printed on photo paper it would look pretty bad though.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Whiskeyman

My D90 has 12.3 mp's and the OP's D40 has 6.1mp's does that mean I can blow-up a photo 2X as big as he can?
Wiley

Wiley,
Technically, yes the size can double. The kicker is that it is the area of the print that we're talking about. The linear dimensions can be increased by a factor of about 1.4. That's with the images being at the maximum resolution for each sensor and the prints produced at the same resolution.

WM

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]20x30 posters[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2700 x 1800 pixels according to [/FONT]SNAPFISH[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]

According to this guide I could print a 36 x 24

My D5100 file size is 4928 X 3264

According to the guideline by MrF my max should be 17 X 11 +-

Big difference in the guidelines.

I personally think that with a good exposure and a sharp print I could go at least 20 X 30 and not really see any degradation in the print from a foot away. MAy have to go get something printed just to see.

[/FONT]

MrF

20x30 posters 2700 x 1800 pixels according to SNAPFISH

According to this guide I could print a 36 x 24

My D5100 file size is 4928 X 3264

According to the guideline by MrF my max should be 17 X 11 +-

Big difference in the guidelines.

I personally think that with a good exposure and a sharp print I could go at least 20 X 30 and not really see any degradation in the print from a foot away. MAy have to go get something printed just to see.

I probably should have been a little more clear with my caveat there, Don. The 300 ppi requirement is the rule of thumb for printing magazine quality photos. I threw it out there as a starting point. My mom used to work in advertising, and that's the standard that she held all the images that she used to.

With your D5100, I think you'd still be happy at 20x30. It works out to just over 150ppi. I have a 160ppi print on my wall, and I have to almost put my nose up to it and really look to start to see individual pixels. From a normal viewing distance, it looks just fine. (This may be why printed publications use 300 ppi, since people are generally looking at the pages much closer than a piece of artwork on the wall.) I think snapfish might be pushing the envelope with their guidelines a little, but let me know how it turns out if you try it out.

Whiskeyman

I asked one of our graphic artists about this at lunch today. Her reply was that they can do a lot more with interpolating graphics software than what the general guidelines say. She showed me a mural at was 36 x 72 inches, and it looked great. She indicated that the image was from a Nikon D3., so either about 12 or 24 MP was the sensor size.

I didn't have time to ask more questions, but I'll try to make it back there soon to ask specifics.