Bonehead question (the first in a never ending series...)

Jackpot

Greetings,

Neck strap, hand grip strap or just hold the camera in your hands?
I've always just used the included neck strap but I'm curious what others use and why.

Please share your experience.

Rick M

Wrist strap (not attached to the tripod mount) and the thinktank belt system for hiking. Sometimes I'll use a neckstrap for events or Tourism.

WhiteLight

I've used a hand strap with my D5100, but don't use it anymore.
Though it offers a great sense of security & it may save a fall, at the same time it seriously limits movement with your right hand.
As you need to control the dials and menus, it becomes quite cumbersome & you will eventually get rid of it...
Black Rapid straps are much better and recommended

Krs_2007

Black rapid sport, couldn't take the neck strap anymore, it's really nice, not much use yet but I can see why it's recommended.

MrF

I've got an OpTech neck strap. Over one shoulder most of the time. If I want to hold the camera, I'll just wrap it once around my right hand. I may have to look into a sling though with all these recommendations. There are companies that make a sling strap that attaches to the strap lug if you want to leave the tripod socket free.

nickt

I have the op/tech neck strap and the wrist strap. I like the op/tech system with the uni-loops. I can switch between neck and wrist strap quickly or nothing, leaving just the short connectors on the camera. I prefer the neck strap over a sling when I'm in the canoe or rowboat so the camera stays in my lap area rather than bumping my arm or the seat.

I just this week bought the op/tech sling to try. I haven't been out walking with it, but I think I will like it. Some people might not like the strap falling over the back on the hand as you shoot, but it seems fine to me. There is a video on their web site showing how its used.

Last edited:

MrF

I have the op/tech neck strap and the wrist strap. I like the op/tech system with the uni-loops. I can switch between neck and wrist strap quickly or nothing, leaving just the short connectors on the camera. I prefer the neck strap over a sling when I'm in the canoe or rowboat so the camera stays in my lap area rather than bumping my arm or the seat.

I just this week bought the op/tech sling to try. I haven't been out walking with it, but I think I will like it. Some people might not like the strap falling over the back on the hand as you shoot, but it seems fine to me. There is a video on their web site showing how its used.

Yeah, I'd forgotten about their quick-disconnect system. Easy swapping back and forth.