Prime lens - and other old habits.

Watch72

When I started with my very first camera many years ago, I only had a "normal" lens - a 50mm f/2.
I could not afford to zoom and I learn to look for "50mm" shots.
I had the 50mm for almost five years before I got myself a wider 35mm.
Sure, there were times when I was literally backed up against a wall just to get everything in.
As a beginner, there was a tendency to have "everything in" in my photo.
But over times, I learn to let go - what I mean is that I start to "crop" or what photographers would say "compose" with my 50mm. I started to look and photograph closer to my subject.
Those were the film days. It would take a week before I get through with a 36 exposures and get it processed at home and see the outcome.

Now, with digital, my photographic style/procedure remains somewhat unchanged. Old habits are hard to break.
Even today, I have no zoom lens.
All my lens are prime lens and I make myself walk to get what I want included or excluded in the photo.
With chimping, it is easy to re-shoot if I am unhappy.
Also when I go out for a walkabout - I only take with me just one lens.
So, it has to be "take it or leave it" for whatever is interesting on that day.
I hated changing lens in public - do not know why? I guess just being lazy - do not want to carry any lens around.

So do any of you think I should get myself a zoom and experience what the majority of the photographers out there are enjoying? Zooming in and out, have a range of photographs when you return from the shoot.

ps - my apology - I should qualify - the Digilux2 has a zoom... hmm, now I know why it is not my favourite.

Last edited:

LouCioccio

I do remember. I am finishing up a 3 session basic DSLR that I am teaching and we have a photo walk scheduled next sat in AM (10AM) in downtown Erie, PA.

I usually have the participants photograph certain points on the way that they have to use their newly acquired tools i.e. metering, modes an such. It may be a statue with bright back lighting; what should I do if I cannot go on the other side. They really learn. I will be slapping on my AIS 28 MM lens set at a hyper focal distance for street photography.

You are right about film you actually put some thought in what you were shooting. I told the participants we start in manual mode and from there you will understand what the other modes can or cannot do.

Ciao,
​Lou Cioccio

Rick M

Most of my shots are below 50mm and I prefer primes in that range. I have the 70-200 f4 for everything else. I have the 28mm 1.8g which is excellent and as soon as a decent 18mm is produced I'll pick that up. My Ideal hiking kit would be a 18mm 1.8g, the 28mm 1.8g and the 70-200 f4. My feet will take care of anything between 28-70mm.

piperbarb

I prefer primes to zoom lenses. You cannot beat them for sharpness, and they are usually faster. It could be that, like Watch72, I came from the world of film, and when zoom lenses were not that good, and the good ones were very expensive. I will put my old AIS 35mm f/1.4 up against any wide angle zoom any day. :) I do have a couple of zoom lenses, and have been forcing myself to use them more.

There is no argument, composing with a zoom lens is easier because you don't have to move around as much, just adjust the focal length. Also, one does not have to carry as many lenses around. Those are distinct advantages.

If you are trying to decide which zoom to get, base it on the type of photography you do and what lenses you usually use. You may want to get a zoom lens that complements your other lenses, and fills in the focal length gaps that you don't have but may want.