Lens

Maureen59

I am a relative newbie not only to the D3100 but to photography. I would like to ask about my lenses. I have a kit lens 18-55 and a 55-200. Also a 50mm D lens. I am off on holiday soon and want to take my camera but only 1 lens. Which one is a general all rounder. We are going hiking and hope to see a lot of nature. Thanks in advance for your advice.

​Maureen

jwstl

I am a relative newbie not only to the D3100 but to photography. I would like to ask about my lenses. I have a kit lens 18-55 and a 55-200. Also a 50mm D lens. I am off on holiday soon and want to take my camera but only 1 lens. Which one is a general all rounder. We are going hiking and hope to see a lot of nature. Thanks in advance for your advice.

​Maureen
I would take the 18-55. It's a wide angle to very slightly telephoto which is what you typically want for landscapes. If you are more concerned with photographing wildlife, birds etc. then take the 55-200.

§am

I second jwstl's advice.
The wider 18-55mm will give you the landscape pictures you want, but the 55-200mm will be better for wildlife.

The 50mm D won't autofocus on your D3100 by the way (in case you weren't aware)

theregsy

Just to be awkward I would go with the 55-200 as I have found you can always stitch multiple shots together to make a great landscape picture with software and have the zoom for wildlife. Or treat myself to an 18-300 sigma or similar so you have the best of all worlds.

​Have a nice holiday

jwstl

Just to be awkward I would go with the 55-200 as I have found you can always stitch multiple shots together to make a great landscape picture with software
But difficult to do if you aren't using a tripod and, if the OP is traveling so light as to not want to carry 2 lenses, I doubt carrying a tripod is desired.

theregsy

Nope, no tripod needed I always shoot freehand for this type of shooting when its outdoor and usually well lit then no I have no worries about shooting free.

high view dodd wood_DCE.jpg

get a belt pouch,, and carry the 55-200 too, you will barely notice it,

That is what I would do and have done in the past. I now have a Lowepro Backpack that goes everywhere with me. I may leave it in the car and only carry one lens on the camera for a while, but I have the option of which lens to put on for that outing. I have been known to shoot for a while with one lens and then go back to the car and change lenses and go back and shoot for a little while longer. But in your case a belt pouch is a great idea. I found a camcorder pouch that was just the right size to carry my 55-200 and it fit on my belt.
Whichever one you carry will turn out to be the wrong one. At least that is what always happens to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

mobi

I have found you can always stitch multiple shots together to make a great landscape picture

On the opposite scale, how about shooting using 18-55 and crop & magnify to make it like taken with zoom? :D

Out of the 3, I'd take the 18-55 as it is most general purpose lens.

For travel photography, you might want to buy any of these lenses based on your budget.

• Tamron 18-200 (on a shoestring budget)
  • Tamron 18-270 VC PZD or Sigma 18-200 DC II or Sigma 18-250
  • Nikon 18-200 (very pricey)

Maureen59

Thanks Guys, looks like I will have to take both. Need to buy a backpack. I know the 50mm doesnt autofocus but I thought I would never learn if all my lenses were autofocus. One day I would like to take a shot where I set everything myself ( a long way off). It was on offer so I thought why not. The site is great and the advice very welcome. Thank You.

​Maureen

fotojack

If you can fit it into your budget, get yourself an 18-105 VR lens. Versatile and an excellent walk around lens for vacations. Just another option.

However, as previously suggested, stick with the 18-55 for now and yes...do take along the 55-200. This way, you cover the 18 to 200 mm focal range.

Maureen59

While I am on the subject of lenses, can someone advise me on a macro lens? I have a raynox dcr250 just to try out macro but would eventually like a proper lens that will autofocus.
Thanks, all the way from a rainy UK!
​Maureen

fotojack

While I am on the subject of lenses, can someone advise me on a macro lens? I have a raynox dcr250 just to try out macro but would eventually like a proper lens that will autofocus.
Thanks, all the way from a rainy UK!
​Maureen

Easiest way to find out is to Google "Nikon Macro Lenses". There's a plethora of information on the subject. :)

My personal favourite macro lens is the Nikon 85mm Macro. Others like the 105 macro. It's a matter of preference really, and what you want to take macro pictures of.

Hope you find the one you like. :)