Wet cleaning question

Dave_W

The Dude
I have a question about how people are wet cleaning their "sensor". There is the "one-swipe" and you're done method vs. the "swipe on way, flip the swab and swipe the other way" method. Does everyone use one of these two methods or maybe a third method? And then my next question is why?
I've been using the "one-swipe" method but I've been told by others that I'm wasting the backside of the swab and that I should be using the second method. So I'm curious what others here are using when doing their wet-clean.

TIA

JDFlood

I use the turn over and do again. Haven't done any damage. I got a couple tiny streaks with the one way method, and decided to try both way. I doubt the sensor (glass filter on top of the sensor) is anywhere near as delicate as the literature would suggest... It's a glass filter. Maybe the E is more senitive, but I doubt it... JD

fotojack

I use the swipe both ways method. The trick is not to use too much cleaning fluid on the swab. I put a drop of fluid on each corner of the swab and then wipe. Works all the time.....for me. A pro photographer friend of mine suggested that it is not always necessary to clean the sensor all that often. He does his once a year.

Dave_W

The Dude
Thanks for the info. I'm going to try the double-swipe this time. Unfortunately, I change lenses an awful lot and I average a wet clean every 2 to 3 months.

Rick M

I have not done a wet clean yet. But, I intend to swipe once, flip over and swipe a second time in the same direction

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Am I correct in assuming the bottom of the sensor is the top of the image?

Yes, and right is on the left when you're facing the sensor.

For my last cleaning I used the liquid that came when I bought my new eyeglasses. Sprayed a fine mist on the swab and it did a really super job. The other liquid I had before used to smear a bit. This time, the first time was great.

Rick M

Yes, and right is on the left when you're facing the sensor.

For my last cleaning I used the liquid that came when I bought my new eyeglasses. Sprayed a fine mist on the swab and it did a really super job. The other liquid I had before used to smear a bit. This time, the first time was great.

Very daring to use an "unconventional" liquid, I like your style! I've often thought of using lens cleaner and my microfiber cloth wrapped Q tips.

Dave_W

The Dude
I am tempted to use pharmaceutical grade methanol since that is what most of these cleaners are but I'm not sure I would use an eyeglass clearer. I'd be worried that not all the components in the solution are volatile enough to completely evaporate leaving a film residue behind.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I am tempted to use pharmaceutical grade methanol since that is what most of these cleaners are but I'm not sure I would use an eyeglass clearer. I'd be worried that not all the components in the solution are volatile enough to completely evaporate leaving a film residue behind.

I was worried too Dave, but it turned out better than the other liquid I had tried before on my D7000. It was the "visible dust" sensor cleaning formula. And it did smear… I also did try the pharmaceutical methanol with success, but found it hard to quantify on the swab. The lens cleaner, I just misted in the air and flew the swab in the mist.

You can also try a dry swab before the liquid. Often, it does the trick without the wetting agent.

Philippe

While the sensor cleaning item is up, is there a kit of wet cleaning 'swabs' that are pre wet and packed individually in sealed bags, preferrely sold in the EEC?
Something like one shot cleaning sticks or wants thad must be discarded after each use.
​I would like to take them on traveling by air and I thought that one isn't allowed to bring liquids on board...

Philippe

Finally, the people at Calumetphoto.be helped me out.
There seems no individually packed AND pre wetted swabs available, so I bought the Sensor Swabs and Eclipse liquid from Photographic Solutions. What they told me was to take the type 2 (smaller) swabs for my D800 because it would be easier to use them. According to them, the type 3, for FX, is actually the same rod as the type 2 but whit a larger piece of cloth attached, so it's not that efficiently cleaning the borders of the sensor because there is not enough pressure.
Anyway, I got my D800 cleaned...

Last edited:

Silver

Has anyone successfully cleaned off the notorious oil droplets themselves? My D800 had oil droplets from the get go new out of the box. Sent it back to Nikon & they cleaned it (in warranty) albeit $38 cost to me shipping with $3K insurance. At least one droplet has appeared since, that I can see easily, right before the camera and a lens suffered a drop (see: "D800 Basket Case"). I'm going to have to buy another D800 if I want to continue my pursuit (bought all new FX lenses after getting the body) with the same results. I'm not going to send it back to Nikon @ $38 a pop every time oil appears. Any success and what are the risks? Thanks.