HMAS SYDNEY FFG 3 Visit

The Coolpix series has its place. My wife shoots with the L120 and loves it. Once you know the limitations and how to avoid them you will get great results.

Last edited:

WhiteLight

Nice!
i have a coolpix s3200... i think.. it's not come out of the box in over 1 year since i got it.. lol
somehow taking pics in a point n shoot is a big turn off for me... same with phone cameras.. but that's just me i guess

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Nice!
i have a coolpix s3200... i think.. it's not come out of the box in over 1 year since i got it.. lol
somehow taking pics in a point n shoot is a big turn off for me... same with phone cameras.. but that's just me i guess

These are just for my leisure shots whenever I don't want to lug my DSLR. These types of cameras are great for hiking or riding a bike. If you see something interesting, just simply break em out and shoot away. Not too complicated to operate.

WhiteLight

Yep. +1 on the ease of use, but i somehow feel it screws up your 'photographer's eye'...
maybe cos you use both eyes wide open on the screen ;) kidding...

btw any idea why the HMAS Sydney is in Japan?
I thought there already was a pretty strong line up of battle ships in the area anyways??

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Yep. +1 on the ease of use, but i somehow feel it screws up your 'photographer's eye'...
maybe cos you use both eyes wide open on the screen ;) kidding...

btw any idea why the HMAS Sydney is in Japan?
I thought there already was a pretty strong line up of battle ships in the area anyways??

I think if I posted these pictures on the D800 or D7000, no one would even question them unless you look for the exif data. At base ISO, it is usually very difficult to determine which camera was used. (me thinks).

Re: SYDNEY. Nothing wrong with a port visit to get the crew's legs stronger. ;)

Eye-level

Banned
True...and with the CTI2 rating I could have went to private industry and I would be a millionaire right now.

My buddy I grew up with is a sailor and we went in together in 89 he is still there going for 30...he is a damn cook...I could never understand that...LOL

But then he is probably not going through a mid life crisis like me either...

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
In case you are wondering my security clearance got hung up at Monterrey (moral turpitude because of some trouble I got into as a juvenile - convey of a bomb threat!) which violated my enlistment contract...I was offered EW but I refused because I had a basically full ride scholarship back at home (outstanding SAT/ACT scores)...stupid stupid that I didn't go ahead take the EW job as it was later folded in with CT boys. Recruiters called me regularly when Mr Bush needed DLAB Farsi (CTI2) scores because of the war he started but I had a family by then and no way in hell I was going to Iraq. But I really enjoyed my limited time in the service it was quite an experience.

I am a spook through and through...LOL

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
True...and with the CTI2 rating I could have went to private industry and I would be a millionaire right now.

My buddy I grew up with is a sailor and we went in together in 89 he is still there going for 30...he is a damn cook...I could never understand that...LOL

But then he is probably not going through a mid life crisis like me either...

He is most likely a Senior Chief or a Master Chief by now. Once you reach the senior leadership rank, it's all cake after that. Job as a cook or CS in the U.S. Navy is not so bad. They get more shore billet options unlike mine.

Electronic Warfare (EW) or CTT is even better. We all make our own choices in life. You'll never know the outcome unless you try.

Eye-level

Banned
Last time I communicated with him was about 6-8 months ago and I think he was fixing to make Senior Chief...He is in San Diego - Derrick Wagner...fantastic guy and family man. I can tell you all kinds of crazy stories about the crap we used to do in Jr high and High School. The stuff we got away with then would make people's toes curl now...the FBI and Homeland Security definitely would have been involved by today's standards but we never wanted to hurt anybody we just wanted to blow sh!t up and shoot things. Incidentally another one of our buddies is an AF Green Hornet in Afghanistan right now for like the 8th time...he was a bad @ss back in those days too.

I actually wanted to be a PH back then but you had to take another rating and then hope you were selected for PH.

​Do you ever hang out with any MC's and talk camera stuff sir?

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Jeff - we all have our own stories. Re: Security clearance. What security clearance? I was not even a U.S. citizen when I joined the U.S. Navy. LOL! 12 months later, I was on my way to Dessert Storm and then some.

I normally hang out with MCs but that was on the carrier. I use to use their computers since they had cool softwares to edit my pictures. They are normally outfitted with FX cameras including the D4 that I've seen lately.