Safety filter for the 12-24mm wideangle

wud

I read this:

Due to the extreme design Sigma had to choose a very protruding front element so there's no front filter thread by default. However, when attaching the lens cap holder there is a option to mount a filter here (82mm). At 12mm this can cause slight edges shading though so front filters can only be used from about ~14mm & up

But looking through mine, I see the hood (which can be removed) /round corners all the way from 12mm to 20+mm. So is it not possible to use anything like UV-filter? Use that for my other lenses, would rather buy a new of those instead of a lens.

Dont know if I am misunderstanding something. Its the hood on the first picture that can be removed, that is what the quote are talking about, for putting on a filter, right?

lens.jpg

Ruidoso Bill

I have long since stopped worrying about my Nikon 12-24, although the front element is bulbous, I'm always aware of it and pop the cover on it when not actually shooting. I use it mainly for landscape and architectural shots which are very planned for the most part.

JDFlood

I don't use any filters on any of my lenses unless it is raining or in a sandstorm. Good lenses, I'd rather not compromise the image by additional glass. JD

wud

Ah youtube, didnt think of that. Thanks. Its because Im using full frame, I'm seeing the round corners.

Okay so no filter. Yikes :) I mostly shoot dogs and animals, thats why I prefer some safety, they do tend to be very interested in the lenses. I'll just do my best to take care of the lens.

Bill4282

Shooting at 18, I get vignetting with a lens shade. I don't have a shade on my 18-55 so I don't have to adapt depending on the shot unless I bright sun. I do have a UV filter and no rounding noticed.

Rick M

Considering the field of view, I think you'd need some really high quality filters on a lens looking almost diagonally through the filter glass.

Watch72

I don't use any filters on any of my lenses unless it is raining or in a sandstorm. Good lenses, I'd rather not compromise the image by additional glass. JD

+1. I have a 18mm prime which I keep naked. Fingers crossed, so far so good as I keep the shade on. Have to be extra careful as the front element is rather exposed.

wud

+1. I have a 18mm prime which I keep naked. Fingers crossed, so far so good as I keep the shade on. Have to be extra careful as the front element is rather exposed.

I cant keep the shade on, then all my pictures would have round vignette. But not much to do about it when its not possible to put on a filter, and so far its still doing fine :)