Largely undecided about the D7K...still..

eurotrash

I've been on the fence about this camera for a long time now. Owning a D7000 already, I've been put off by the seemingly small viewfinder AF points, the max shutter speed, the max flash speed and some other niggly things.

On the plus side, it would get me at the FX level, something I've been wanting to do for awhile now. And, the camera is slightly larger making a better fit for my hands. I tend to 'stab' my shutter with the D7K, and really prefer the slightly angled button on the 600. Sigh. It's just a lot of cash when I already have 90% of this camera in the first place, you know?

I could keep the D7k as a second body or simply trade in my 16-85, 35mm 1.8 and the D7K for around 800 or so to upgrade. Opinions welcome as I'm close to making the move, but still largely undecided.

Rick M

The D600 is an awesome camera and you will notice a difference shooting fx. You just need to be comfortable cleaning the sensor occasionally.

Eye-level

Banned
I say if you have the wheelbase then upgrade. Sell the D7K and add a 1 system camera for your back up rig. I also think that a new D600 body isn't going to have the issues that the original release ones did.

eurotrash

I was thinking a Sony nex5, but I agree. That would be a versatile combo for certain.. I do like the idea of a 40 and 85mm on FX:thumbup:

Phillydog1958

The J1 has the sweetest screen that I've seen on a camera. It's got great resolution. I thought that not having a viewfinder would be a problem. It's not, so far. I haven't tried it in bright summer sunlight, yet.

eurotrash

Well screens are cool, but I just don't like the Nikon smaller cameras to be frank. Just couldn't bond with the J1 when I played with it

Phillydog1958

Well screens are cool, but I just don't like the Nikon smaller cameras to be frank. Just couldn't bond with the J1 when I played with it

Well, i suggest you go with the Sony, if you really like it. I got my J1 as a Refurb from Bestbuy.com, for only $250, with the 10-30mm kit lens. It was as good as new. I'd never pay retail for any of the mirrorless models, including Sony. Catch them on sale.

Last edited:

eurotrash

Its a near perfect candidate for the avid outdoorsman. That's why I like it so much, nice and compact and light. And many many lens options apparently. Either way, I don't know if I should wait it out on a d800 or get the 600 sooner:confused:

Phillydog1958

Its a near perfect candidate for the avid outdoorsman. That's why I like it so much, nice and compact and light. And many many lens options apparently. Either way, I don't know if I should wait it out on a d800 or get the 600 sooner:confused:

One thing to keep in mind about the Nikon 1 Series cameras is that they have a lens adapter that allows you to attach DX and FX lenses. I don't plan on buying the FT-1 F-Mount adapter, because I bought the J1 for it's small size and ease of mobility. But, it's nice to know that you can attach an F-mount lens. I plan on carrying the J1 in my pocket and carry it to sporting events and shows that don't allow for DSLR usage, due to copyright issues.

​Good luck with your camera search.

Eye-level

Banned
Myself I would get a 600 before an 800 because of a few factors. Cheaper. File sizes are smaller. Camera body is smaller and lighter.

Now you said outdoorsman. If I was going to be doing some hardcore Landscape work I would do the 800 instead.

I know you are looking seriously at a small rig for backpacking...

I checked out a Nex the other day at Wal Mart and it was pretty cool but my biggest b!tch about the Nex cameras is they look stupid - a giant lens on a little body.

RX100 might be a great choice it is another tiny backpacker's type rig...

But I would also think about this...the Fuji X Pro 2 is fixing to come out. Fuji X Pro 1 is experiencing a price decrease right now I think. They were a grand last month and they are likely to fall even more here real soon. The Fuji X Pro 1 is a bad @ss little rig...same thing with the OM-D. Here soon I bet they are fixing to revamp that one too and Olympus has always been bad @ss at little digital units.

And frankly the FX sensor mirrorless compacts are just around the corner. They are going to be expensive but when they get here they are going to make big clunky DSLR's hard to swallow.

Last edited:

eurotrash

Oh no, you somewhat misunderstood. I need both. One to take on backpacking trips for quick shots ala p&s. One FX SLR. Obviously, my immediate goal is FX but I'm starting to look into a smaller more toteable option as well when I don't feel like carrying the bulky SLR. Great post however, I wasn't aware that thing was so badass! I have to check it out now..

Good points about the 600. I just feel like it'd be like buying a new D7000, just with less capability and a full frame sensor..

eurotrash

That's what I hear. But I feel like I'd be spending 2k on a body with an fx sensor and better movie modes (never use em) as a plus.
Minuses include slower max shutter speed, slower flash sync speed, same amount AF points, smaller condensed af in viewfinder, still awkward iso/ae-af button, etc...

I just feel as if the only thing I'm paying for IS the sensor. I also don't know yet if those condensed af points will force me to focus/recompose more often than I already do (NEVER!) and weather it will be a pain to get used to..

NVSteve

I know you are looking seriously at a small rig for backpacking...

I checked out a Nex the other day at Wal Mart and it was pretty cool but my biggest b!tch about the Nex cameras is they look stupid - a giant lens on a little body.

I had the NEX-5n for about 7 months before I sold it. I actually really liked the size and handling, and it was still small enough to stuff into a pocket. My problem was with the lenses, which simply bite the big one. I'm not talking about the primes, but the zooms, which really make a travel camera work IMO. I never took it with me backpacking because I prefer bringing along a DSLR. A lot of the places I visit have potential $$ involved if I get a good shot, which means I want the best equipment along. I haven't been backpacking with the D600 yet, but I have had many long hikes with it and it is essentially perfect for me, although I would really like a lot more weather sealed capability.

RX100 might be a great choice it is another tiny backpacker's type rig...

I picked up one of these about a month ago to replace an 8 year old Canon P&S and it does seem pretty good. I haven't used it yet, but the pictures that she's taken with it have all looked pretty good so far. Better than any other P&S I have ever seen, but no match for a D600 obviously. I'd say the Sony NEX with the 16mp sensor has a bit more noticeable & malleable DR, but the RX100 seems to be far sharper (better lens than the NEX).

eurotrash

Interesting points.. I'm almost thinking of keeping the d7k and using THAT as my backpacking camera!

I'm pretty set on a 600, but just need a tad bit more information still..