Tweak my first Nikon setup

squawk77

Hello Nikonites :)

I'm an avid motorcycle tourist who stumbles upon a sublime photo opportunity from time to time. I've always wished I had an entry-level DSLR or high-end compact but tried to make do with a P&S until I found the perfect deal. Well the P&S card reader died so it's time to act...

After a lot of reading I think I've narrowed it down to D3200/D5100 w 18-55mm kit lens and maybe a 35mm f/1.8 prime. The idea is to make a lightweight budget setup for travel and not too valuable as it will live in the adverse environment of dual sport motorbiking, and to have 2 lens as backup.

I'm a bit overwhelmed with the accessory options.. I think I should get a 52mm UV filter for protection, and a polarized filter for effects.. but does it matter which? I also need a really slim case to fit into a small tank bag. Any suggestions or ideas? Also, is there a better compact budget lens for landscapes (under 35mm?)

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum

If you fill out your profile we can better answer any questions that you might have.
You can do that at http://nikonites.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

Some useful links
Nikon Product Manuals available for download
Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor

We have many D5100 shooters here myself included. The D5100 is a great camera and offers many options. You might also want to think about getting a refurbished D5100. I got mine and have been very happy with it. You can save a good bit of money with it. A number of companies offer factory refurbs but only give you a 90 day warranty. This company offers a 1 year warranty

Nikon D5100 Digital SLR Camera Body - Factory Refurbished includes Full 1 Year Warranty
you also might want to consider a body only and then get a better lens to begin with like the
Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 G VR ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens - Factory Refurbished includes Full 1 Year Warranty

This would be a great combo to start with.

Thanks

squawk77

Thanks for the suggestions so far

That refurbished setup is about $150 cheaper than a new 18-105mm kit here but I'd lose the 2 year warrenty (Visa adds 1 year) plus have to pay international shipping/duty to Canada. What exactly makes the 18-105mm a better lens? My gf actually has that one on her D90 and I found it was significantly larger and heavier together compared to a D3200 w 18-55mm kit lens. For a compact landscape shooter, I was more leaning towards reasonably priced wider prime lens? Maybe I'll look for a used lens to supplement a kit lens (undecided between 18-55 and 18-105)

Here's a picture of me taken by a Nikon D200 according to the metadata

11_SM91563.jpg

Dave_W

The Dude
I second the D5100 recommend but would go with a new set up, if you can afford it. I understand why people would say a refurb is just the same but there's something special about a new camera. Not so much with lenses but the camera itself seems different.

And welcome to Nikonites! I'm looking forward to seeing some of your road images.

Eye-level

Banned
I'd look into the Nikon 1 series cameras too. They are tiny and powerful. Much much better than a P&S and you could have a few different lenses then. Nice motorcycle!

squawk77

I'd look into the Nikon 1 series cameras too. They are tiny and powerful. Much much better than a P&S and you could have a few different lenses then. Nice motorcycle!

Yes the 1 series is what I truely wanted but I can't get excited about anything they put out yet even before seeing the $$$ pricetages... the V2 is close but it's still not perfected imho and the price is much higher than an entry DSLR with a few lens.. I was waiting to see the V3 but I give up and just get a 3200/5100 haha. The true viewfinder is ideal, but I would give it up for a compact 1 with real settings and ergos.