memory card light flashing when camera on??

l67swap

Hey guys first post here , I recently picked up a d7100 about a week ago and I noticed that after i shoot for a bit and the camera is in the on position the memory card blinks on for a few seconds and back off , over and over if i turn the camera off and back on it goes right back to doing it all over again , however if i leave it off for a little while and turn it back on it takes a little while to start doing it , seems to be draining the battery quite a bit as well as the other day i was only able to take around 120 shots and the meter was on the last bar , that was shooting to 2 cards raw + jpeg , ive tried formatting the cards and stuff and nothing seems to work... does the light supposed to flash like its in standby or something? i came from a d3100 and it did not do this but being a diff camera im not sure if something is wrong or what is going on.. ive searched and had no luck finding any information on such a problem. using 2 pny 16gb cards class 10... thanks

Dave_W

The Dude
My understanding is that the memory card only flashes when it's writing data to the card. In fact, I use this as an indicator my buffer is empty and I can start loading it up with bracketed HDR shots. Are you only seeing this light after shooting or does it do it randomly with or without shooting images?

Last edited:

l67swap

without shooting images ... if i just hold the camera and watch the light it will come on for around 2 seconds like its writing a file or something and back off ... around five more seconds it will do it again over and over... however i do have to shoot a few shots to get it to start doing it

l67swap

just checked the menu and seen the wireless adaptor was enabled?? but i dont have a wifi adaptor plugged in ... would this have caused my problem? just noticed it so i switched it to disable

l67swap

finally had time to take the camera back out today and sure enough that was not it , ive narrowed it down to the camera not going into standby when it trys to go into standby after whatever option you pick it wakes right back up , that's why the light comes on in the back , however the only way ive been able to stop it is to turn the switch off when not taking shots or set it so it does not enter standby mode at all. any one else have this issue?

l67swap

no , because on the lcd on the top it stays showing shutter speed etc , when it does decide to go into standby the exposure settings go away untill you press shutter or some button on the camera to wake it back up.