Ideal settings for a generic photos?

Russell5150

I'm in need for some tips for my D-90. I have I set up in the "M" an I'm using the 18-200 lens.
My having problems with several of my photos coming out "blurry or out o focus" I do have my lens in the "manual" mode so I can manually focus on the overall subject. If I keep the lens on the "AF" mode I can't get my main subject to stay in focus.

Any response will be appreciated…

Horoscope Fish

I'm in need for some tips for my D-90. I have I set up in the "M" an I'm using the 18-200 lens.
My having problems with several of my photos coming out "blurry or out o focus" I do have my lens in the "manual" mode so I can manually focus on the overall subject. If I keep the lens on the "AF" mode I can't get my main subject to stay in focus.
What is it you're shooting that you're having a hard time getting sharp focus?

There are a few different AF modes but if you're shooting with manual focus AND using that 18-200 at, or near, 200mm understand that greater focal length not only magnifies the image (the good) it also magnifies every tiny tremor of camera shake, vibration, shutter slap, etc. (the bad). As a general rule I don't like to see my shutter speed dropping much below 2x my focal length; meaning at 200mm I want to see a shutter speed of 1/400 or better. Can't always do that but it is a general rule of mine.

A few example shots that are indicative of your issue would probably be helpful, as well a better idea of what you're shooting most often and how; meaning hand-held vs. tripod/monopod, typical shutter speed, ISO, etc.

Russell5150

I'm typically shooting "portrait" style photography with a few photos of my subjects in motion. I'm still learning about "F stop" ad different apertures as well.

You are probably shooting at too low shutter speed. it is recommend to shoot at, for instance, at least 1/200sec or faster when shooting at 200mm, and that to avoid any motion blur due to your own (lack of) stability. Also remember that you are shooting a crop factor camera, so the 200mm is actually a 300mm lens, so 1/300 of a sec with full zoom.

If you are using a vr lens you might/could get by a little slower, but for now try to stick with the formula. This has nothing to do with subject movement, so just because your subject is still you need to shoot faster for a longer zoom. If you are using a tripod then you can go with a slower shutter speed.

Last edited by a moderator:

fotojack

You are probably shooting at too low shutter speed. it is recommend to shoot at, for instance, at least 1/200sec or faster when shooting at 200mm, and that to avoid any motion blur due to your own (lack of) stability. Also remember that you are shooting a crop factor camera, so the 200mm is actually a 300mm lens, so 1/300 of a sec with full zoom.

If you are using a vr lens you might/could get by a little slower, but for now try to stick with the formula. This has nothing to do with subject movement, so just because your subject is still you need to shoot faster for a longer zoom. If you are using a tripod then you can go with a slower shutter speed.

Also, when using a tripod, turn the VR off on the lens.

fotojack

What will turning the "VR" off on the lens do when using a tripod?

VR is "Vibration Reduction". When on a tripod, there is no vibration, therefor the VR function is not needed. VR is for hand held shots only. The VR mechanism would be trying to eliminate any vibrations in the lens where there is none while on a tripod.

carguy

VR is "Vibration Reduction". When on a tripod, there is no vibration, therefor the VR function is not needed. VR is for hand held shots only. The VR mechanism would be trying to eliminate any vibrations in the lens where there is none while on a tripod.

You'll find a mix of opinions on this one for sure. I'd think there would be much less vibration than hand held. :D

In looking through the D90 section of the forum I saw this thread title and started wondering,
what exactly is a generic photo?

Last edited:
In looking through the D90 section of the forum I saw this thread title and started wondering,
what exactly is a generic photo?

Sort of like asking "how fast should I drive"

This is one reason we ask people to give details and if possible upload a photo of the problem and give the EXIF that it was shot at.
In this case i would bet that he was shooting at to slow a shutter speed.