Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.8G or Nikkor AF-S 85mm f/1.8G

SJD

Similar question but more specific.

I hear a lot about 85mm being very sharp and excellent for Bokeh.

my use is primarily to take pictures of the babies and family. Also wish to use general purpose when visiting places.

Which one is best for me ?

Eye-level

Banned
Probably the 50...they are both sharp they both can do the bokeh thing.

The 50 is going to be more of a general use type of lens the 85 more of a specific use type of lens.

You need to consider the 28 and the 35 too...ultimately if you are going prime then you really need them all.

SJD

I really like to do Bokeh photography with my children. Isn't 85mm better compared to 50mm for bokeh ?

Eye-level

Banned
Probably so...but like I said you will need them all if you are going primes.

There are many folks will call me out on this one but I do not care because there are probably many more folks in the world and on the net who would agree with me... :)

If you want the very best lens Nikon has ever made for taking photographs of people and with probably the best bokeh of any lens made by anyone period then you need a 105/2.5 Ais. And they are very very reasonably priced. It's manual but you can do it I promise.

SJD

Is AIS compatible with my D5200 ?

Yes, i think i get your point. I can get a general purpose 50mm lens and then get a older MF lens for less price for specific situations.

Eye-level

Banned
Yes it is compatible but you will have to learn how to operate the camera manually...which is a good thing for you to learn IMO. That means you have to learn how to meter the light and how to manually focus the lens and how to do all of the apertures and shutter speeds and ISO and how they all interact together but like I said you CAN do it. They are cheap enough that a person can afford to grab a 105 and play with it.

I would suggest the 35/1.8 before the 50 also but again like I said you are going to need all of them eventually.

Eye-level

Banned
I don't know that this is the best example to show you but this is a snap made with the 105 and a film camera...you can find a bunch of 105 shots on my 365/daily thread or my flickr stream...

drew.bmp

deano

I own both lenses and both are worth getting. They both serve slightly different purposes in terms of portrait shots. Explained in link below

The portrait lens: 50mm vs 85mm. | Orange County Wedding Photographer Los Angeles

Sometimes the 85 is no good in small spaces as you have limited room to step back and it could hinder you. The 50mm is a good for most situations and that is the prime that sits on my camera often.

So yeh start with the 50mm and then move onto the 85. Also as someone suggested above, you cant overlook the 35mm lens either.

SJD

excellent article thanks... Really gives a nice perspective of its specific use. I like it when things are explained to the point. I will probably settle for 50mm for now. And will invest on others as i learn things.